Talk

Advanced search

Afro-Anglo baby hair help!

(13 Posts)
Nettlerash Mon 20-Dec-10 16:46:43

My little girl of 14 months is mixed race and her hair is a mop of fuzziness on her head.(its almost like a straggly afro) Everyone keeps calling her a boy even when she is dressed all in pink so I am determined to try and do something with her hair. When she was born she had some hair and it was flat on her head but her face always stood out so beautifully. Now the hair is hiding it.

Last night I got her to sit a while and I did a few twists back from her face and she looked so beautiful - the change was amazing and she looked so much more like a girl.
By this morning though,it had all come out.

I dont obviously have any experience of braiding or anything but is it possible to find someone who could do a baby's hair for me like this or an easy way I can do it myself and for it to stay like it.

Nettlerash Mon 20-Dec-10 16:48:57

Also she has very sensitive skin (eczema etc) so dont want to use products that may affect this. Last night I tried using one of my own moulding putty which didnt work obviously!

NotQuiteCockney Mon 20-Dec-10 16:51:27

Generally, from what I know, curly hair = needs washing less often. The frizzy thing is from being too dry. This webpage looks interesting ...

stillbobbysgirl Mon 20-Dec-10 16:55:01

Do you have any afro haidressers near you? Might be worth making an appt. for a chat on how to look after it. I know afro hair gets VERY VERY dry.

My cousins little girl is the same age and she has found it hard to get used to looking after it. Her SIL cornrows it and has told her what products to buy. Do you have any in laws that can help?

Nettlerash Mon 20-Dec-10 17:25:45

notquite - it only gets washed about once a week though?

I do have a friend stillbobby I think I might ask and will try and google for afro hairdressers. just wondered if it was too young for her to go to hairdressers though?

Nettlerash Mon 20-Dec-10 17:28:02

Many thanks for the link notquitecockney - going to read it now!

KatyMac Mon 20-Dec-10 17:28:24

There is a great thread on Multicultural families about mixed race hair

scurryfunge Mon 20-Dec-10 17:28:33

lotsof advice here

Nettlerash Mon 20-Dec-10 18:28:14

Thanks both. Gosh I feel really bad now about leaving it the way it is and not doing this sooner.

jinglebellssantasmells Mon 20-Dec-10 18:34:49

hey nettle rash my DD 20 moths is mixed race and has very curly hair that is a nitemare to do anything with, i have just today recieved a leave i conditioner that has had rave reviews for mixed race hair, so once i have tried it i will let u know. Also like others have sed dont wash it often, i only do DD's less than once a week, having very straight hair i am also rubbish with curly crazy hair lol

Nettlerash Mon 20-Dec-10 18:35:53

thanks jinglebells, let me know how you get on with it. x

jinglebellssantasmells Mon 20-Dec-10 18:39:35

will do its called mixed chicks leave in conditioner

varicoseveined Tue 21-Dec-10 16:29:13

Two other sites to check out:

here

and here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now