Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What do you think of this Toast dress?

(15 Posts)
FrancesFarmer Sat 18-Dec-10 13:15:27

What do you think of this Toast dress?

www.toast.co.uk/product/dresses+and+tunics/C1AB4/S ilk+Velvet+Wrap+Dress.htm?categoryref=%2fcategory. aspx%3fcategoryid%3ddresses%2520and%2520tunics%26s eoterm%3ddresses%2520and%2520tunics%26&pcat=dresse s+and+tunics&adimage=

Is it a comfortable yet elegant dress for winter occasions or a glorified dressing gown? I can't decide.

I wish they would provide better photos of their clothes - just one blurry one of a model in this dress.

tingletangle Sat 18-Dec-10 13:19:04

I don't like it from the photo of the dress on its own but it is so hard to tell. It does look like a dressing gown in that picture as you have no way of telling how it hangs or fits. The other photo is useless.

sleighBELLasringing Sat 18-Dec-10 13:24:05

I am sorry, but I don't like it. It looks like a dressing gown or a smoking jacket.

Dropdeadfred Sat 18-Dec-10 13:24:14

sorry - dressing gown is exactly what that looks like!!!

faustina Sat 18-Dec-10 13:28:33

I think it does look exactly like the dressing gown they do in the same fabric (which I have from a couple of seasons ago - and it really is dressing gowny velvet if you see what I mean) - sorry

Ghostcat Sat 18-Dec-10 13:34:44

i think it does look a bit like a dressing gown. what about this? there are not many sizes left though and none in the lovely green colour!

Chandon Sat 18-Dec-10 13:37:26

but that one's so shapeless...

BelligerentYhoULE Sat 18-Dec-10 13:40:20

Sorry but it's horrible imho. It looks like a 3 Kings costume.

Ghostcat Sat 18-Dec-10 13:42:46

this?

Ghostcat Sat 18-Dec-10 13:43:47

nice in blue

faustina Sat 18-Dec-10 15:25:44

I like this:

shop.uniqlo.com/uk/goods/066977

tethersjinglebellend Sat 18-Dec-10 15:31:52

I can't decide. I linked to it on another thread a while ago, and thought it was ok at first glance- but you would never stop thinking of it as a dressing gown. How about:

This?

This?

This?

This?

This?

Lovely

Baragin

tethersjinglebellend Sat 18-Dec-10 15:32:24

A baragin is a bit like a bargain, only cheaper.

battherat Sat 18-Dec-10 15:41:27

I liked the idea of it too but then had a butchers at it in the shop and it is like a dressing gown. I think that the only way that you could get away with it was if it's a perfect fit. Eg: Huggy at the top without too much volume in the skirt.

FrancesFarmer Sun 19-Dec-10 22:20:00

Thank you for all the feedback and links - I will be taking a good look at the alternatives you provided and possibly ditching the idea of a velvet dress altogether as I have a feeling it's one of those fashion whims that's best left unrealised. grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: