Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Opinions please

(8 Posts)
AbsofCroissant Thu 16-Dec-10 10:00:18

Right, had a work event last night and realised that I don't really have a particularly good party dress for such events, weddings and what not.

I am thinking of this which is goooooooooooooorgeous, IMO, and easy to accessorise up and down and all over the place, so could be quite versatile.

But, as my MN name says, I have abs made of croissant, not of steel. I have been working on it (they're DEFO better than they were before), but my stomach is a bit squidgy, and its kind of shiny-ish satin over that area.

Could I get away with it? Get it in a large enough size that it's more skimmy than clingy?

I am 5'7", size 10 (ish) and most of the rest of me is alright, apart from this damn stomach (STUPID GENES)

bunkers Thu 16-Dec-10 10:09:04

I love the dress, but IMO it wouldn't be flattering over a wobbly tummy. I think the v shape above the stomach would just draw attention to the bits that you're self conscious about. If you want to flatter your tummy, I'd be looking for something that has some kind of ruching over the stomach area.

Of course, it depends how wobbly your tummy actually is. If you're a size 10 it probably isn't that bad.

Some Bridget Jones style big pants, that smooth and flatten your tummy would probably do the trick and make the dress look fabulous on you.

1234ThumbScrew Thu 16-Dec-10 10:12:39

That is a most fantastic dress and if I were a size 10 I would buy it. You are probably over focusing on your tummy, as bunkers said buy some flattening pants and enjoy.

theresapotatoundermysink Thu 16-Dec-10 10:14:40

shexy

AbsofCroissant Thu 16-Dec-10 10:22:14

Thanks for the advice.

So the dress + industrial strength giant pants it is.

Menagerie Thu 16-Dec-10 11:21:47

Gorgeous - but very very low neck line. Can you wear a bra with it? Some of those hold-you-in-pants come up so high you'd see the waist band peeping out of that neckline. Not a good look.

But if it works with a bra, then yes, it's really classic and 40s Hollywood.

AbsofCroissant Thu 16-Dec-10 11:29:58

I'm planning on getting a camisole-y type thing, or something, to go underneath so I'm not flashing the girls everywhere

tethersjinglebellend Thu 16-Dec-10 11:32:04

That dress is gorgeous.

You're a size 10.

I am not seeing the issue here grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: