Talk

Advanced search

Serious cold weather jacket for men but a bit cheaper than North Face and ideally from high st

(14 Posts)
mychatnickname Wed 15-Dec-10 17:05:04

Any ideas?

BigChiefOrganiser Wed 15-Dec-10 17:09:29

GAP - but it's not long

I dress DS1 in GAP jackets and snow pants (warmest series), and they are seriously good, standing up to the Canadian winter.

mychatnickname Wed 15-Dec-10 17:20:33

ooh are you in Canada BigChief? Which city if you don't mind saying?

I have had a Gap down jacket before and it was lovely and warm.

BigChiefOrganiser Wed 15-Dec-10 18:57:03

We are, we're in Montreal. Currently cosied up inside due to -11 outside. Will have to go and get DS from nursery soon though.

mychatnickname Wed 15-Dec-10 19:44:40

Gosh and there's us Brits complaining about it being -2 or 3.
What do you dress little people in in that sort of weather e.g. snow boots?
I'm looking for some tips ready for a cold trip soon!

Hassledge Wed 15-Dec-10 19:47:16

Bizarrely we found the best man's jacket ever in Aldi. Fleece-lined (you can unzip the lining), incredibly thick and warm, looks really nice - slightly Barbourish. Something insane like £25.

PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo Wed 15-Dec-10 19:54:05

Milletts and Blacks do an own-brand called Peter Storm. Relatively inexpensive. Haven't had heavy duty cold gear from them, but so far everything I have had has been good. Only criticism so far is that my lightweight waterproofs only last a couple of years at a time of fairly heavy wear.

littleomar Wed 15-Dec-10 19:55:51

if you can run to it north face ones are really good quality - mine is on its 5th year which is more than i ever got out of a gap one.

selby Wed 15-Dec-10 20:31:01

It's only 10 more days until Boxing Day - I'd say wait - you can afford North Face in the sales! smile

mychatnickname Wed 15-Dec-10 20:42:58

True Selby but dh needs something for Christmas really.

BigChiefOrganiser Wed 15-Dec-10 20:46:59

I put DS1 (3) in thermal pants and top, with long sleeve top and track pants. Then snow pants, a fleece and his snow jacket. Normal socks so far with snow boots.

DS2 (3mo), he has a thermal long sleeve under, then a sleep suit, a fleece suit, gloves then a snow suit with fold over arms and a hat. He can't move his arms so looks like a star fish baby. When I sling him, people in cars point, and go oooooh, look at that stupid woman baby grin

mychatnickname Wed 15-Dec-10 21:09:47

How thick is the snow jacket and also are snow pants just waterproof or do they have insulation too (can you tell I am a complete beginner with proper cold weather gear??)

BigChiefOrganiser Fri 17-Dec-10 19:04:44

they're just the warmest series from GAP

this is the jacket and the matching snow trousers with bib. They're fully insulated.

mychatnickname Sun 19-Dec-10 19:14:09

Thanks - will take a look

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now