Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Oily skin - to moisturise or not?

(11 Posts)
strawberry17 Wed 15-Dec-10 08:01:37

I'm 42 and still have a very oily t zone, and I've always been confused about weather to moisturise or not, so I play safe and do, I use Liz Earle skin repair light moisturiser but sometimes I wonder if it's actually necessary, anyone know?

mistletoeploppy Wed 15-Dec-10 09:52:24

Hmm, was wondering this myself....

daimbardiva Wed 15-Dec-10 11:08:09

I'm similar and only moisturise the bits that need it - seems to work for me

daimbardiva Wed 15-Dec-10 11:08:34

Oh, and I read an interview with Eve Lom who siad that was the way to go, and I guess she should know...

duckyfuzz Wed 15-Dec-10 11:11:26

Yes do, mine is oily, much improved since I belatedly started to moiturise

Elemental Wed 15-Dec-10 11:11:33

I have always had very oily skin but find that it is more oily when I don't moisturize, it seems to produce more grease. I always use a light water-based moisturiser though, even for night.

castlesintheair Wed 15-Dec-10 11:14:13

I've got oily skin (similar age too) and slap it on in this cold weather but find in the summer I don't need to. You might find that just using sun block is enough (yes, even in winter!) and/or a tinted moisturiser.

castlesintheair Wed 15-Dec-10 11:14:48

that should be "or not" !!

Jajas Wed 15-Dec-10 11:16:58

I thought if you didn't moisturise then your skin produced more sebum to make up for the oil you remove when washing or cleansing your skin? So you end up even oiler?

ChoChoSan Wed 15-Dec-10 11:39:40

I have oily skin, and used to find my make up sliding off my face during the day, even though I only used a water-based light moisturiser under my foundation.

That's changed now - I use an Aveda foaming wash off all-in-one cleanser, which gets rid off sebum, but doesn't strip my skin, and I don't moisturise at night. During the day I have dumped moisturiser - I use Benefit Dr Feelgood balm on my face, followed by their 'You Rebel' tinted moituriser.

My skin is always really smooth and non-oily now, and I just use moisturiser once in a blue moon if it feels a bit dry.

strawberry17 Wed 15-Dec-10 19:46:27

I have tried so many things over the years and come to the conclusion that my oil production comes from within, and nothing I do reduces it particularly. I used to not ever moisturise and just use Clinque city block all the time, now I'm wondering if I should be moisturising. At least I have very few wrinkles that's the up side of oily skin smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: