Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

On getting ready for tomorrow's big party...

(6 Posts)
toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Sat 11-Dec-10 00:24:29

ignoring the minor upsets of my "initial prep" session in the bathroom, which were:

a) no candles - forgot to buy
b) nowhere to put left knee except wedged up against a bag of bulging bath boats and action men, leaving an interesting lattice pattern on said left knee
c) my bath bomb fading with a whimper not a bang

i have also discovered the following:

1. Dead sea salt scrub does not taste good.

2. 3 weeeks of being constantly in woolly tights, 2 pairs socks and wellies has done untold damage to my feet, and one blast with the pumice stone just ain't gonna do it

3. I am definitely not as bendy as i used to be, and certain methods of hair removal are therefore definitely best left to Sally at the salon (no pictures thankfully)

4. If the bottle of fake tan is BC (before child) from the very back of the Nice Lady Things Basket, then you take yer chances...

I have also plucked my eyebrows, smeared cream on every available piece of skin and clarted my hair in some gunk that is supposed to work miracles overnight, leaving me with locks like Catherine ZJ Douglas in her prime.

Please say i am not the only one who finds all this a trial? Is it all really worth it, considering that one hour and 3 vodkas in, i really am not going to give a shit what i look like as i hang off the DJ and beg him to play Dancing Queen? grin

why do we do this? wink

supersalstrawberry Sat 11-Dec-10 00:32:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChippedChinaTeacup Sat 11-Dec-10 00:42:06

Here too...

Opaques hide a lot.

I've got the added burden of having to get ready in a hotel room which will probably have really crap lighting and no plug sockets anywhere near the mirror followed by a sit up and beg fancy pancy dinner which I won't be able to eat much of because of armour plating gut squashing knickers.

I shall simply have to console myself with copious amounts of wine

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Sat 11-Dec-10 17:37:25

i am going for the frilly knickers, enjoy my dinner and hold my tummy in for, oh at least half an hour after. then let it all hang out once everyone else is well wined up!!

FaffTastic Sun 12-Dec-10 00:26:00

Some women love getting ready for a night out and love the whole pampering aspect of it.

Me, I always go the semi-full hog for a night out,but hate every second of doing it and wish I could just click my fingers and be ready so I can sit on my backside, drinking wine, waiting for the taxi to arrive.

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Sun 12-Dec-10 21:37:33

i used to love it when i was in my twenties and getting ready meant drinking wine, boogying around the room while throwing on some slap and the latest cheap top and mini. It was FUN. And took about 20 minutes.

I didn't have hair issues, skin issues, does this really suit me? issues. I didn't need a basket full of sinister medical implements and dubious packets of wonderstuff before even getting to the throw on the slap stage. It all takes so LONG, so much WORK now before i feel even vaguely presentable for a party. bah humbug....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: