Talk

Advanced search

Mulberry bags - faffy upkeep?

(12 Posts)
teej Thu 09-Dec-10 11:11:10

MN S&B Mulberry bag owners I need your guidance!

OK - so according to DP Mulberry bags need to be treated with a protective spray twice a month (or at least that's what the shop assistant told him).

Is that right? Do you treat your bag twice a month with a protective spray, or never/ once a year if it's lucky??

TIA x

apple99 Thu 09-Dec-10 11:42:28

Once a year if it's lucky!!!!

I have had my Mitzy Hobo a year this xmas and not sprayed it yet, no harm as come to it and use it in all weathers. I suppose it depends on the leather type and finish.

carciofi Thu 09-Dec-10 11:44:26

Once a year, maybe. I also have the Mitzy hobo and it is still in great condition after almost two years of constant use.

teej Thu 09-Dec-10 11:56:23

Thanks, that's what I thought grin

It's just a classic tan bayswater so not patent/embellished etc...

HollyBollyBooBoo Thu 09-Dec-10 13:10:44

I only did mine once when I first bought it, the lady selling it never said it was an annual event! Mine is wearing fine though 3 years on and gets used everyday.

berri Thu 09-Dec-10 13:10:52

I spray them about once every 6 months when I'm doing my boots - doesn't need upkeep!

RunforFun Thu 09-Dec-10 13:12:54

I'vb only done it the once.

Mind you it's a bit pampered and never goes out in bad weather !

faustina Thu 09-Dec-10 13:33:58

you do have to be a bit more careful with the tan bayswater though - it's the type of leather and the colour that's most easily marked. I think what you're meant to do is spray it a few times at first, so you build up a kind of protective layer - then you don't need to bother so much. Beware of heavy rain too.

HalfTermHero Thu 09-Dec-10 15:02:15

Agree that nvt oak bags are ones that really do need the spraying otherwise they will get watermarked in the rain. Empty a tin of spray onto it when you get it, then maybe do the same for the next 3 months or so. Mine is fine but I sprayed it heavily for a good while after I got it. Some of my friends did not bother and they have ugly stains on theirs!

Pinkjenny Thu 09-Dec-10 16:16:39

I've a Mitzy Hobo which I use every day. I did buy the spray, I have no idea where it is now, though...

teej Thu 09-Dec-10 23:42:57

faustina and half term hero thanks for the tip - OK so DP wasn't completely mis-sold by an over-enthusiastic sales assistant, then!

RunForIt mine may end up like that - I took it out of the store bag and storage bag, admired it, stroked it lovingly and then put it back in both bags so my DD wouldn't nab/ruin it before I had done whatever needed to be done to protect it (she's 5 but her shoe and bag obsession already knows no bounds).

The Mitzy hobo is lovely and I'm very envy - those of you who have it. Was also quite taken by the Alexa, but it was a surprise and DP went for the onehehadheardof classic bayswater, as "after all, everything is a potential heirloom for dd now, isn't it" shock

oliviafrombolivia Fri 10-Dec-10 17:07:36

I have a Mulberry Elgin in oak and the first day I got it I emptied a partially opened bottle of mineral water in the bottom of it. It has never been the same since, gutted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now