Talk

Advanced search

Please share your short jeans secrets.

(21 Posts)
funtimewincies Wed 08-Dec-10 15:56:31

I badly need new jeans but am only 5' tall. Next used be fine a few years ago but seem to have lengthen the leg in recent years (I'm not shrinking, I checked grin). Very few shops seem to do short sizes or 'short' means 5'2".

Now I've had 2 children, I find the higher waisted ones more comfy and forgiving and I'm usually a size 10 or 12, depending on the style.

Can anyone recommend anywhere good?

GrimmaTheNome Wed 08-Dec-10 15:58:43

Boring but reliable - M&S (esp Per Una recently) and LandsEnd

MrsJohnDeere Wed 08-Dec-10 16:03:35

White Stuff do short versions of some of their styles, online if not in the stores.

M&S

Levis although it can be hard to find the shorter ones actually in stock anywhere ime.

FreeButtonBee Wed 08-Dec-10 16:07:33

So long as you are not buying bootcut, just get the best fitting jeans and pay to have them taken up. Anything else is silly really.

Bootcut/flared more tricky as taking them up results in a super wide flare which looks a bit silly - but you shouldn't be buying them anyway!

Meggles76 Wed 08-Dec-10 16:45:27

At 5ft and a size 8 - 10, I share your problems here.

Next are hit and miss. I have skinnies from there and the length is fine. Seriously recommend the high waist skinnies. But I have a more flared pair that I can only wear with serious heels.

M&S are good in length but I don't always like the cut.

Topshop petite are also a good length but I usually have to size up to a 10 or 12 to fit my arse in blush

Dorothy Perkins petite is also worth a look for jeans.

TBH, I don't like buying longer jeans and shortening them as the proportions are still wrong and you never get the same finish

letsblowthistacostand Wed 08-Dec-10 16:47:21

Uniqlo shorten them for you to any length you like. I love their jeans, they're comfortable and wear well, and they're cheap!!

letsblowthistacostand Wed 08-Dec-10 16:49:18

Uniqlo generally good for petite sizes anyway--they don't have a petite range but the stuff is cut smaller and styles are good for small frames.

Meggles76 Wed 08-Dec-10 17:04:35

ooh, must give Uniqlo a look

VivaLeBeaver Wed 08-Dec-10 17:12:34

I found some great jeans in a designer outlet place. Mexx jeans, not heard of them before.

FiveOrangePips Wed 08-Dec-10 17:19:06

Topshop can be good agree size up in petite, but be careful if you get the martha jeans, I find the 30 leg very generously cut, so I would be a 10 in the Martha, but any petite jeans I would be a 12.

I am shorter than you, so with Topshop etc I still have to wear heels, or turn them up slightly.

moragbellingham Wed 08-Dec-10 17:53:08

I'm with Meggles on the high waist Next skinnies. They are shorter than other onesconfused and a bit too short for me but I can tuck them into boots.
I had to take Next summer petite trousers up last year.

meanymum Wed 08-Dec-10 18:03:13

I'm 5 ft too (short but not really petite - size 10/12) and always end up buying M & S jeans. They have quite a few styles so usually take a selection into the changing rooms and finding something that fits.

funtimewincies Wed 08-Dec-10 19:47:01

Wow, thanks for all the replies and suggestions grin!

I'm a bit too, erm, 'curvy' for skinny jeans, I'm afraid. Although I'm a 10-12 on the bottom I'm sporting a 30G frontage and skinny jeans make me look like a lolly blush.

Not heard of Uniqlo, so will do a search. I haven't been clothes shopping in over a year, mainly because my town (good-sized and going for city status) doesn't have anywhere stocking petite ranges. I have to go to the nearest city and just haven't found the time.

FiveOrangePips Wed 08-Dec-10 20:10:04

I am the same nork size as you funtime, how do you get on finding tops? I like tunic styles, but they tend to be more like dresses on me.

CrispyTheCrisp Wed 08-Dec-10 20:12:37

My 'short' friend grin used to get them from Gap, although she was tiny with it so i think used to get childrens ones. They do generally have a big range in different leg lengths and the recent ones i bought are lovely

funtimewincies Wed 08-Dec-10 20:49:12

Completely hit and miss fiveorangepips, v-necks with vest tops under are my friends!

If I get anything bigger than a 14, it's huge on the shoulders and the neck is at my naval grin. I buy clothes very rarely, but when I find something that fits nicely I buy it, even if it's more expensive than what I'd usually pay. It means that my style has to be classic rather than fashionable smile.

I'd hadn't thought of Gap, I'll have a look at their site.

Meggles76 Wed 08-Dec-10 20:57:31

FiveOrange - I often buy tunics and wear them as dresses!

Slovenlymummy Thu 09-Dec-10 13:47:02

Espirit do some 29" leg jeans and available online if that's any good to you. I have some boyfriend style from there and i love them.

moragbellingham Thu 09-Dec-10 15:50:38

Oh , I forgot my Diesel ones from years ago.
29 inch length too and I think they did mid sizes i.e. going up in one inch measurements.

funtimewincies Thu 09-Dec-10 18:56:51

Brilliant, thanks smile!

phatcat Thu 09-Dec-10 19:00:46

check out NYDJ - Not Your Daughters Jeans - the P size are the petite 29inch leg. They are great. Cheaper than retail on eBay. They are US sized so you would need 6 or 8.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now