Talk

Advanced search

Are you friendlier to people who are trendy?

(13 Posts)
lickeyloo Wed 08-Dec-10 15:44:01

Or even people who are just dressed well? I'm always slightly nervous of people who are clean and dressed in a very trendy way. Don't know why. Feel more relaxed with people who are scruffy like me.

weepootle Wed 08-Dec-10 16:15:19

Tbh, I think I probably am. I just expect them to be more on my wavelength than really scruffy people. I could never be very scruffy and don't understand people who are for no reason.

Meggles76 Wed 08-Dec-10 16:40:12

With my psychology hat on hmm, I would say that we are all more drawn to people who we think are like us and who we believe we can therefore better relate to.

brokeoven Wed 08-Dec-10 16:47:35

na not at all!

i'm a scruff i am afraid, i have zero interest in fashion. long as im warm and covered im not interested.

Always feel like smart dressed folk are "looking down their nose at me"
This is not a pleasant feeling, and so i avoid.

sethstarkaddersmum Wed 08-Dec-10 16:49:20

when I had my nose pierced at college I was amazed how suddenly all the cool people on my course started talking to me.

brokeoven Wed 08-Dec-10 16:50:51

Just to add, i am very very smart at work, i wear a uniform, which is pressed, shoes are polished and hair pristine, therefore i slob at home and on days off.
I get allot of respect in uniform

employmentlawquery Wed 08-Dec-10 16:53:10

I took an interest in finding out what people in their 30s might consider wearing after I had DC in my 40s. I wanted the 30somethings in the playgroups etc to relate to me!

IWouldNotCouldNotWithAGoat Wed 08-Dec-10 17:02:24

Do you know what, I think I probably am. That's pretty shit, isn't it. I guess it's a hangover from school days when it's desperately important for the cool girls to like you.

stickersarecurrency Wed 08-Dec-10 17:04:24

I'm not unfriendly but tend to feel less like they'd want to talk to me if that makes sense. I'm with brokeoven - I'm totally styleless and tend to wear jeans, hoodies, plain t-shirts and so on. I'm not happy this way - I'd love to be smarter because I feel like people probably judge me on my appearance. But a combination of being a lardarse, having no time or money and not knowing where to even start holds me back.

Interestingly, I've become quite friendly with a stylish mum who I first met when our 3 year olds were babies. We didn't start to see a lot of each other until our second babies came along and IMO she's been forced to be more laid back about everything including how she dresses. I suspect she identifies with me more now ... Although that could be my paranoid side overthinking things of course!

LadyInaManger Wed 08-Dec-10 17:12:33

Hadn't consciously done it but now you mention it i probably have sub consciously at times like when DD started school. Like meggles said you find people who you think are more on your wavelength and so are drawn to these type of people.

I am friends with every type (hate that word) but my DH has always said that i can find common ground with anyone be it the Queen or a tramp which he loves me for as his mum is a middle class snob (won't catch the bus etc for fear of sitting next to an unsavoury person iho)! My friends are people who have touched my life or become part of it by chance and i don't notice what they wear tbh but love them whatever.

Silkstalkings Wed 08-Dec-10 17:27:48

No because there's a lot of deeply unflattering but trendy stuff around. I'd be more interested in someone who knew what looked good on them, even if it was scruffy.
Would run a mile from someone who looked like they ironed their jeans or looked super smart and clean.
Zackly what Meggles said basicallygrin.

StarlightPrincess Wed 08-Dec-10 18:09:26

I'm friendly to everyone, regardless of how they are dressed, but I find some of the other mums at the school gate are rather standoffish with me, and I get the feeling it's because of how I'm dressed- make up always done, always in dresses, a bit of a fashionista...so it works both ways! wink

HalfTermHero Wed 08-Dec-10 18:42:23

I think that I probably am. Mainly because I would be likely to start conversation 'I love your bag/top' etc. If you have something in common it is likely you will find it easier to converse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now