Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

oh dear god I need to lose weight and fast

(21 Posts)
SoManyLovelyKnickers Tue 07-Dec-10 11:38:34

aaargh! my midriff is out of control, my bum is nothing but wobbles, my thighs meet in the middle and chafe - I've had it! I feel bloated and bulgey and I do not like it, not on elittle bit

please, please, please someone tell me how to sort this out

I eat well, I think, but don't get much exercise. Do tend to nibble a bit too much here and there perhaps, and have a bf who is extremely tall, hence can eat what he likes and is an excellent and enthusiastic baker (note to self NEVER agree to move in with him - it will be the end!)

also think have IBS which isn't helping (lots of unpredictable bloating)

what tactics have you used and have they worked? and HOW oh HOW oh HOW do I manage not to eat when I feel peckish, cold and bored???

bigchris Tue 07-Dec-10 11:39:32

Post in the topic about losing weight?!

SoManyLovelyKnickers Tue 07-Dec-10 11:41:47

blush good point! will do

OldAndUngraceful Tue 07-Dec-10 12:08:40

I went on a diet that completely removed carbs and sugar (including all fruits by the way). I lost 8 Kg in 6 weeks and I've never felt better. Problems with bloating, pms, lethargy.. all a thing from the past. Best thing I've ever done for myself!

SoManyLovelyKnickers Tue 07-Dec-10 12:12:31

oldandungraceful - THAT'S the one I want (only time i ever did lose babyweight after DD1 was with atkins) - does it have a name or did you just make it up? I think certain foodgroups suit certain metabolisms and while I WISH i could eat bread cos I LOVE it I think I just need to accept high protein low carb suits me best sad

any tips or sites you found useful? I have to do this - I really do...am feeling very down about it and I don't like feeling like that about myself -

tummytickler Tue 07-Dec-10 12:13:20

OldAndUngraceful - isn't that kind of diet really hard to maintain long term? I could not imagine no fruit forever. You can't go without carbs forever, surely when you eat a potato all your weight will start to pile on?

No advice op, but will lurk, as I need akick up the arse to loose a bit of weight. Relying on bfing certainly not working grin

SoManyLovelyKnickers Tue 07-Dec-10 12:15:00

hey tummytickler - nope, bf'ing never worked for me either ... big swizz if you ask me !!!

virgo1979 Tue 07-Dec-10 12:16:13

planning to lurk too - as tummytickler my bfing diet isnt really working.... [hmmm]

OldAndUngraceful Tue 07-Dec-10 12:35:34

Tummytickler, I know that they say you should lose weight gradually and all that, but that wasn't working for me at all because I would lose a little in a few months, would get bored and lose momentum, and would pile it back on again and some.

I did the lighterlife lite program for 6 weeks; no fruit or carbs for 6 weeks is perfectly do-able. For me, this was the easiest diet I have ever done as it had very clear boundaries. It's not cheap and it's not for the faint hearted, but it definitely worked for me where other diets hadn't.

Of course I am now faced with the issue of weight maintenance, but at least is a worry I now have from a happy place with a happy mind, not a miserable one.wink

OldAndUngraceful Tue 07-Dec-10 12:38:03

I have also tried the South Beach diet in the past and it's a good diet, I just find it hard to do it alone which is why lighterlife helped as it included group counselling. Slimming World is also pretty good, it just takes longer.

The reason I am thinking 'no sugar no carbs' is because the OP has mentioned bloating. Wheat, dairy, gluten and so on need to be restricted in order to pinpoint what's causing the bloating.

Rohey Tue 07-Dec-10 12:43:38

Hi... My 2p worth...

I followed a low GI diet and lost a stone.. But I looked like I lost more.. I lost it in the right place and I did not do a single exercise as I had broken both my ankles! - Don't ask!!

Just had DC3 and now finished breastfeeding so starting on the GI diet!! Here's to weight loss!!!

BTW - I do do the odd 30 day shred workout to speed up the weight loss!

Good luck xx

YulenoYurbubson Tue 07-Dec-10 12:46:46

EXERCISE!!!

Take up running (couch to 5k)

Or do the 30 day shred.

tummytickler Tue 07-Dec-10 12:50:20

I have the 30 Day Shred on my Amzon Wishlist. Maybe I should buy it.
I htink I could stick to no fruit or carbs for 6 weeks, but would struggle after that to maintain it. I would be dying for a sarnie and apple!
Will have a look into it tonight when dc are in bed.

SoManyLovelyKnickers Tue 07-Dec-10 12:55:23

what the heck is 30 day shred??? [sound slike something I need to do with the junk mail on my door mat!]

notyummy Tue 07-Dec-10 13:04:33

30 Day Shred - Exercise DVD where you do 20 min exercise routine every day for 30 days. Pretty hard core routines, but don't last long. Builds muscle and sheds fat.

Dukan diet worked for me, and I didn't put it all on when I went back to eating carbs. It has re-educated me about how much carbs to eat. I v rarely eat bread now and I don't miss it, and the same with potatoes. I do eat cake sometimes though! I don't follow a low carb 'lifetsyle' any more, but am careful and try to follow Low GI principles (apart from occasional pieve of cake!!)

OldAndUngraceful Tue 07-Dec-10 13:17:09

Yes! Low GI, definitely the way forward. Exercise, fantastic if you want to do it, I just don't, unfortunately.

Like notyummy, after not having starchy carbs for weeks, you feel you really don't want them anyway. It's like wiping the slate clean (your tummy being the slate), you really don't want to make it 'dirty' again so end up being very careful about what you eat. Naturally.

dawnrising Tue 07-Dec-10 13:36:00

British winter is a difficult time of year to muster extra energy to exercise. It's cold, dark and damp, and we naturally go into a hibernation mode.

...But, going for a brisk walk on a chilly day (every day) is a great energiser and creates a flow, tones legs bum and tummy.

Looking into various classes (gym, aqua-aerobics, yoga etc) to start in the new year will also hone your focus.

In the meantime, cut out any rubbish in your diet (you know exactly what it is), and eat more fresh living foods; foods that give you energy and life-force.

Drink more fluids too, such as herbal teas or hot water with lemon which is fab for flushing out your system and removing excess fluid.

Try using Superfoods to help yourself feel strong and better about yourself, as they contain such an abundance of vitamins and minerals, and in this dark weather Vitamin D3 is very helpful.

Make feeling good about yourself your starting point.

SoManyLovelyKnickers Tue 07-Dec-10 16:09:07

ok, am all set to go to gym at 5pm (many excuses: ill kids, snow, too much work made it impossible last few weeks but am leaving the work unfinished on my desk tonight and GOING)
and have been drinking lots of water and lemon and ginger tea this afternoon, had two satsumas too.

you are all right - more exercise, less crap (cake and bread for me, all homemade, but still!) plenty of water, fewer carbs....

dawnrising - you are right - it IS about making me feel good, not about deprivation...and that's the message I need to get myself to believe

happilyeverafter Tue 07-Dec-10 16:39:31

Op, my advise would be to book your gym sessions/classes in advance, put them in your diary and no matter what stick by them. I go straight from work as if I go home first I would get distracted about what needs doing or start doing something with dd.

I book mine two months in advance and have missed three since April.

Long term I think weight watchers is really sustainable based on you wanting to make healthier choices but needing some measure/guidance.

SickOnMyShoulder Tue 07-Dec-10 17:38:49

Could you meet up with a couple of friends 2-3 times a week for a half an hour workout DVD and filling soup lunch? (i make a huge vat of soup each work and have it for lunch- this week was chicken soup with veg, last week was lentil and sweetpotato, before than tomato and mixed veg, etc.

SoManyLovelyKnickers Wed 08-Dec-10 17:16:37

made it to the gym last night - 30 mins on cross trainer - then went for something to eat and had grilled liver with salad and water, then choral thingie and ruined it all with 3 glasses of champagne at reception afterwards

ho hum

have had porridge and bacon and eggs today so far - out tonight to book club - festive one so lots of food and booze - have volunteered to drive so I won't drink at least

soms - tricky to meet with pals as you suggest - work full time and am single mum of two (this week is VERY unusual in the going out stakes!) so am on the go all the time, at work, getting kids to school, picking them out, doing bedtime etc...by the time I am finished at 9pm from a 7am start amd absolutely KNACKERED

I joined a gym near work with view to trying to go at lunchtime as is only chance, but of course I am so up against it at work due to only getting in at 10 (kids drop off then race to work) and then needing to leave at just before 5 to pick them up from childminder/after school clube that it is tricky to always be able to justify swanning off for over an hour to a class etc...

I'm working hours in the evenings to make up the time

tbh it all feels a bit relentless and impossible at times...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: