Talk

Advanced search

I want to smarten my boys up for Christmas

(13 Posts)
Millie1 Mon 06-Dec-10 21:00:55

How sad is that? grin Actually, they're not that scruffy but they live in Gap/Boden jeans and Gap/Boden l-sleeved t-shirts. I'm sick of their t-shirts!!!! DH pooh-poohs me but I want to put them in something smart on Christmas Day .... something they can get wear out of again ... and as they're 9 and 7 they have OPINIONS! So, please, give me some ideas - nice shirts, jumpers (? - don't want them to look Little Lord F'roy-ish!) or rugby shirts?

Thanks!

FiveOrangePips Mon 06-Dec-10 22:25:16

My ds is maybe a little odd (aged 6), he likes the Dr Who look, braces (h&m and very practical imho), waistcoats (Zara/Monsoon do lovely ones, not too smart iykwim) and also a blazer (again Zara - he has a jersey material one which looks smart, but is very comfortable to wear because it is stretchy).

He wears cords/trousers from Zara/h&m/m&s usually quite casual.

His favourite purchase of late is a tux shirt with bow tie and a lurid (imo) check shirt with blue bow tie - both worn with braces... he is way more interested in clothes than my dd, but he loves Dr Who.

He doesn't wear anything that is too matchy - he looks very smart in his kilt, it is my favourite outfit that he has(we are Scottish), he has had it for two years and he is only just growing into it, but he has a sporran, kilt socks and flashes, usually worn with casual shoes/boots and a collar-less shirt and possibly his waistcoat/blazer.

RolandButter Mon 06-Dec-10 22:43:17

you are being a nob

Cromwell44 Mon 06-Dec-10 23:48:43

John Lewis have some lovely v-neck jumpers almswool (I think). Colours are slightly more unusual than the usual sludge - and have contrasting colour edge see page 2www.johnlewis.com/Baby+and+Child/Boyswear/Boys'+Kn itwear/Boys'+Knitwear/17735/ProductCategory.aspx#& &/wEXAgURU2VhcmNoRXZlbnRUYXJnZXQFH1NlYXJjaFJlc3Vsd HNHcmlkMV9VcGRhdGVQYW5lbDEFE1NlYXJjaEV2ZW50QXJndW1 lbnQFWFNSVC9CYWJ5K18yNitDaGlsZC9Cb3lzd2Vhci9Cb3lzJ ytLbml0d2Vhci9Cb3lzJytLbml0d2Vhci8xNzczNS8yLzAvUHJ vZHVjdENhdGVnb3J5LmFzcHiDtIb1nMNSQkNj8vVYJLWJERjp5 g==.They also have tank tops but I don't think I'd get away with that for my 11 year old.

Cromwell44 Mon 06-Dec-10 23:49:11

lambswool!

Monty27 Mon 06-Dec-10 23:57:16

I bought ds a black and white block check shirt recently, he looks lovely in it and really likes it. (He's almost 15).

Meggles76 Tue 07-Dec-10 10:18:22

Bought DS who is 7 a a navy small gingham check shirt from M&S Autograph range. It looks lovely on its own or with a jumper over itLike you, I got fed up of his Boden and John Lewis long sleeve Ts grin

sleighBELLasringing Tue 07-Dec-10 10:29:59

I would say Zara too. DS2 loves Zara, he chooses his own clothes though out of there. I would have never got DS1 at his age near Zara.

Monty27 Tue 07-Dec-10 10:41:36

Topman, Zara, River Island

ChippyMinton Tue 07-Dec-10 10:55:44

Will your boys wear the clothes though? <gazes sadly at pile of rejected chinos and BakerBoy jumpers>

I just have a rule - no t-shirts with writing on and no faded jeans when we are 'going out'. Other than that, anything goes.

Millie1 Tue 07-Dec-10 11:12:42

Thanks guys! Shall have a look at M&S, Zara - anything I can get online. Don't mean to be a nob grin but I'm sick of the l/s t's which inevitably have graphics of some sort. Chippy - yep, they'd wear a nice shirt. DS1 got a lovely checked shirt in Gap last year - he loves it but it's 3" too short on the sleeves and the next size up (in Gap sizing) drowns him as he's a skinny giraffe!

ChippyMinton Tue 07-Dec-10 11:37:43

Roll the sleeves up? smile

Try Debenhams too - some of the Designers at Debenhams stuff is ok.

sleighBELLasringing Tue 07-Dec-10 13:29:58

Ooh yes, Debenhams. Duffer, Jasper Conran, Ted Baker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now