Talk

Advanced search

Hello. Could someone please tell me how to dress?

(47 Posts)
sartoriallychallenged Mon 06-Dec-10 20:12:19

That's it. Thank you.

PogueMahone Mon 06-Dec-10 20:15:03

Pants on before trousers.

PogueMahone Mon 06-Dec-10 20:15:46

Sorry, couldn't resist. And that's about as much as I know, anyway. Hope someone better comes along.

TragicallyHip Mon 06-Dec-10 20:18:30

Depends where you are from though PogueMahone. Pants could mean trousers and no one would wear 2 pairs at the same time grin

sartoriallychallenged Mon 06-Dec-10 20:19:03

I think I've just about grasped the mechanics of it smile. I just haven't worked out how to look chic and stylish on a day to day basis.

LetThemEatCake Mon 06-Dec-10 20:23:26

keep it simple. Good quality tights (I wear Falke but there are others that are less ££) , boots that are as expensive as you can afford, a decent sweater dress (not acrylic), an array of scarves, a decent coat. Well cut jeans, lots of cashmere (I buy most of mine 2nd hand since I can't afford the really good stuff new)

Done. Warm, cosy, reasonably stylish (or at least not dog's dinner)

mamatomany Mon 06-Dec-10 20:25:18

What passes for decent Cashmere ?

sartoriallychallenged Mon 06-Dec-10 20:25:29

ok, this is good. But can you help me with boots? I have trouble with boots with dresses - they're always too big round the calf and look like wellies. What do you recommend?

LetThemEatCake Mon 06-Dec-10 20:30:43

well people with calf probs often recommend Duo - I've never tried them but they do diff calf sizes apparently?

I too have skinny calves but have these boots and they can be pulled right in.

decent cashmere - Brora, Pure, Pringle. I have all of these but all from charity shops. I picked up a Harrods cashmere sweater last week for £12, am sure it would have been £200 plus new. Mint condition. I've got some Jaeger and Uniqlo too.

The thing is, I want to wear cashmere even when with the dc but I'd be fretting slightly if I'd paid top whack for it. Buying it 2nd hand satisfies my need for quality (via the label) but also allows me to relax if things get paint on them.

sartoriallychallenged Mon 06-Dec-10 20:34:25

Yes, have seen Duo, but don't love the styles. One or two are ok. Can you give me an example of a sweater dress? (Sorry! I need explicit instructions!)

I basically live in jeans but want to start looking a bit more pulled together. Like the second hand cashmere idea.

Thoughts on winter coat that looks great and is warm? Does such a thing exist?

LetThemEatCake Mon 06-Dec-10 20:41:28

Okay I am wearing a Gap merino sweater dress at least once a week at the mo - can't seem to find the exact one online but it's like this

Winter coat I always think go for single breasted as they look okay open, whereas double looks a bit odd (also tragic if you are big busted, not that I am) I have a red cashmere and wool Jaeger one from ebay (£30) deffo worth looking there. Zara have some nice styles but very acrylic and prob not all that warm, how much do you want to spend?

sartoriallychallenged Mon 06-Dec-10 20:45:13

I like that dress. I'm always a bit worried with sweater dresses that they'll just go all shapeless and bobbly.

I can spend quite a lot on a coat, have got some money to spend on revitalising my wardrobe. But it needs to be really warm. Am not big-busted!

LetThemEatCake Mon 06-Dec-10 20:49:59

nah, not if you wash them properly. I do mine on a handwash cycle, secured within a pillowcase. Pull into shape, dry flat, voila.

Well, if you can spend on a coat, Jaeger is deffo worth a look. Also Reiss, Hoss, Cos, my-wardrobe, netaporter (look here for styling ideas too!! I look and then re-create for ££ rather than £££££)

debz3610 Mon 06-Dec-10 21:04:15

Recommend Boden! Also Sandwich, Hobbs and Noa Noa

Take quality over quantity and buy classic items and you will never go wrong. Also totally agree with the ebay idea, i get most of my clothes from there.

Also Tesco do a really nice and affordable range of cashmere, great quality! x

aliceinlalaland Mon 06-Dec-10 21:17:03

sorry to hijack but am lurking for style tricks as am also clueless style-wise.

Re sweater dresses, I really like the idea but do worry that they will either (a) go shapeless (b) cling (to legs when walking etc) rather than hang/skim - what fabrics do you go for to avoid clinging?

LetThemEatCake Mon 06-Dec-10 21:21:47

no acrylic.

merino, pure wool, cashmere. That's it!!!

and - wear quality tights underneath, to avoid static.

I'm being a right know it all tonight, sorry. blush But I am considered by deluded types my friends to be reasonably stylish. Honest grin

daisie4 Mon 06-Dec-10 21:24:34

I'm lurking too - I like sweater dresses but they always seem to go baggy around my bottom - so only wear when standing up all day! Am I choosing wrong brand?

LetThemEatCake Mon 06-Dec-10 21:26:28

what brand? have been wearing mine all day, am still wiggling...

aliceinlalaland Mon 06-Dec-10 21:28:02

LTEC keep it coming grin incredibly useful for a sartorial no-hoper such as myself. Still not convinced my local cancer research shop will have cashmere though...

daisie4 Mon 06-Dec-10 21:30:54

White Stuff - think I may try Gap if you haven't suffered - I looked huge when I turned sideways - not good..

Pannacotta Mon 06-Dec-10 21:33:46

I'd love to get cashmere from a charity shop (have a very messy 3 year old) but I have never seen one item of cashmere and I visit lots around here on a regular basis.

LetThemEatCake Mon 06-Dec-10 21:34:28

the trick is to always have a rummage in neighbourhoods better-heeled than your own. I do a (maybe monthly?) sprint to a suburb not far from here where people chuck out the most extraordinary things. I've picked up Joseph for under a tenner, Chloe for under £30 etc etc. Otherwise, yes ebay.

Have not tried any supermarket cashmere but worth a look, I'm sure

I would have to implore you to avoid Boden though. It is just so obviously what it is. I think there is a certain appeal about throwing stuff together from all over the place and making it work.

sartoriallychallenged Mon 06-Dec-10 21:35:08

LTEC - know-alls are what I want. I used to be stylish but am only just emerging from the rock I've been under for the past 6 years. No longer have the time or energy to go shopping very often and also need to face up to the fact that my lifestyle doesn't (very often) warrant pretty dresses and high heels.

I just want to establish a wearable but stylish uniform for everyday wear, I suppose. I never, ever wear acrylic, and I have definitely turned into an occasional quality buyer. I like wearing skinny jeans - and jeans are good as I spend a lot of time on the floor playing with my dcs - I just want to take it up a notch, so that I look a bit more pulled together and groomed instead of exhausted and slightly deranged. Cashmere is already a good tip!

LetThemEatCake Mon 06-Dec-10 21:35:33

where are you Panna?

Pannacotta Mon 06-Dec-10 21:36:16

Norwich.
Says it all!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now