Talk

Advanced search

frizz control

(18 Posts)
daimbardiva Sun 05-Dec-10 23:01:32

Hi, I need some help. I have naturally wavy hair which is totally unpredictable if left to dry naturally, therefore I've become a slave to my GhDs.

I'd love to let it dry naturally more often, as I do quite like it wavy, but once I leave the house it just tends to go totally frizzy and take on a life of its own...

Any tips for products etc. I could use that would stop this happening?

sue52 Sun 05-Dec-10 23:25:29

I have long curly hair with a tendency to frizz. I use a blob of Moroccan oil on wet hair leave till practically dry then give it a quick blast with the drier. This leaves my hair with s waves and keeps frizz at bay. I was considering the Brazilian Blow Dry till I discovered this stuff.

BiscuitNibbler Sun 05-Dec-10 23:49:24

I've seen Moroccan Oil mentioned a couple of times today on threads but have never heard of it before. I've similar hair to the OP - where can I buy it? At the moment I am just using Frizz Ease Miraculous Recovery as a conditioner and then using their serum, and although it tames the frizz a lot, it is far from perfect.

Firsttimer7259 Mon 06-Dec-10 10:04:25

The other option (and this is for curls but includes wavy hair too, if you want to encourage the wave) is to go cone free.

That is to use only products without silicone. Silicone is in most hair products, it coats hair and makes it shiny but makes curls dry out and frizz. So you want products without anything ending in '-one', the most common ingredient is dimethicone.

Right on the high street that leaves you with original source conditioners, some of the boots waxes, parts of the naked range (I really love the Naked Shea Butter and Olive Oil Conditioner)

The other thing is not to use shampoo. So you wash your hair with conditioner.

Anyway I wont bore you with details in case this all seems to wierd, but the bottom line is it works. If you want to know more look up the curly girl method. I even have the book by Lorraine Massey. Its been a revelation, people are coo over my amazing hair now, it used to be a big scraggy birds nest! Plus I don't fork out huge amounts of money on expensive conditioner that dont work on my type of hair

daimbardiva Mon 06-Dec-10 16:28:47

Thanks ladies, both Moroccan oil and "cone-free" sound VERY interesting. I too have been pretty reliant on Frizz-ease for a while, and though it helps, it's far from ideal.

As always Mumsnet comes up with the answers!!

daimbardiva Mon 06-Dec-10 17:07:14

Having done a quick websearch it seems like the Moroccan Oil and the conefree method are pretty much polar opposites of each other i.e. MO is almost pure silicone

Firsttimer how far have you taken the Curly Girl thing - do you still use shampoo?

MrsDingDongMerrily Mon 06-Dec-10 17:14:08

i couldn't get on with the curly girl method at all, tried it for about 6 months, hair was just awful, lanky, crunchy if I used any products on it, dull, greasy looking.

Am now using Aussie Frizz Miracle, which is making it much sleeker and smoother.

Firsttimer7259 Mon 06-Dec-10 21:05:36

I shampoo maybe once in about 2 or 3 months (if my scalp gets itchy and it doesnt seem to clear up by other means). I have some shampoo that has something thats not sodium laureth sulfate in it (from a health food shop) My hair is distinctly crappier afterwards for a few days.

Been doing it for over a year now and love it

willybreeder Tue 07-Dec-10 09:50:23

I'm going cone free now then! I've read bits & pieces on the meathod and have a turban towel (to blot dry hair when out of the shower). I couldn't find the styling creams recommmended on the curly site a while ago like Boots pink curl cream, so any other suggestions please? smile

SoManyLovelyKnickers Tue 07-Dec-10 11:33:32

i do the cone free method and use
Umberto Giannini Curl Friends Flirty Curls Scrunching Jelly - at least I HOPE it is cone free

i've done CG (Curly Girl - ie no-cones) for almost a year now and generally love it but of late think my hair looks a bit dull and floppy - probably just some tired old highlights and it needs a cut dragging it down though

Firsttimer7259 Tue 07-Dec-10 12:37:37

The Boots Pink Curl Cream is available in just aboout every boots I have ever been in. Its just called Curl Creme. Its pink and one of those cheapo boots products that's so cheap it has v little branding/design. Costs under 2 pounds.

I also use olive oil from the chemists on my hair but mine is very very curly. Probably not something for more wavy hair.

I havent found a good gel yet, am thinking of trying aloe vera gel that you buy in health food shops. Its intended for sunburn I think, but recommended in he curly girl book

daimbardiva Wed 08-Dec-10 14:58:38

hmm, the thing that's putting me off curly girl is that it sounds like it takes quite a lot of time and maintenance, or maybe that's just the impression i'm getting. Also i am just sacred of this no shampoo thing! Is it worth just going cone free, or do i really have to ditch the shampoo? I take it just going cone free would benefit all hair types not just curly? And last question, do any of you cone free people still straighten your hair on occasion or are you just so delighted with your curls that you're never even tempted?!

Unwind Wed 08-Dec-10 15:34:48

curly girl takes way less time and maintenance, and I get a lot of compliments on my hair since starting it. Ideally you let hair dry naturally, or in a turban, but you can do that overnight. Or just dry with a hairdryer and diffuser.

No shampoo is really for very curly hair, for wavy hair, using a shampoo without SLS is fine - I've been using either something from the boots naked range, or my DC's halos n horns. If you go cone free and keep using normal shampoo it will really dry your hair out, the -cones are necessary because most shampoos are so harsh.

I've straightened my hair a couple of times since starting the method, it looked shinier and in better condition than it used to.

daimbardiva Wed 08-Dec-10 16:41:37

Fabulous, unwind, that's me sold! Will be spending tonight sorting through my (large)collection of hair care products and trying to decipher ingredients lists...

Does anyone know whether Body Shop products tend to be cone-free? I have rather a lot of them at present...

daimbardiva Wed 08-Dec-10 16:43:23

And I just have to work out how to control my fringe sans straightening, much as I like my curls, not sure a curly fringe is the way forward for me!!!

Maryqueenofchocs Wed 08-Dec-10 16:44:15

I just bought some Moroccan Oil through GLAMOO bought an £18 voucher (RRP £29) to use to purchase 100ml of MO at MichaelJohn.co.uk...

Check out postage though before you purchase...

smile

Maryqueenofchocs Wed 08-Dec-10 16:47:03

here

glamoo

Unwind Wed 08-Dec-10 16:55:48

why not keep straightening your fringe? I would

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now