Talk

Advanced search

Would this be too casual for a champagne reception following a small wedding?

(44 Posts)
dairymoo Sat 04-Dec-10 16:29:03

Will mostly be family there (some trendy, some not!), and I want to buy something that will be BF-friendly, but that I can also wear again over the winter.

What do you think? Too casual?? If so, any way that I can dress it up?

This Warehouse Swallow Print Blouse with this Reiss Skirt.

moondog Sat 04-Dec-10 16:31:16

Yes. way too casual or rathe r, too office casual.If you can't get dressed up for a wedding, when can you?

KristinaM Sat 04-Dec-10 16:35:46

sorry, but i think they will look very frumpy together

dairymoo Sat 04-Dec-10 16:36:05

You see, I really like the skirt and want an excuse to buy it! grin

The wedding isn't a normal lavishly dressed affair, more low key really, and so I don't want to dress over the top glam. Plus I will have a 5 week old LO with me - BF a lot - and 3 yo DTs clinging on to legs, and need something a little more substantial than a teeny tiny party frock.

Hmmm...what about the blouse? Still too officey?

dairymoo Sat 04-Dec-10 16:39:29

I like this top too - would be v good for BF!

What to wear it with though? Have good legs and arms, and a fairly flat tum, but am only 4 weeks postnatal at the mo and so there remains a leeettle bit of muffin top to get rid of.

WikiFreak Sat 04-Dec-10 16:40:25

The blouse is vile

WikiFreak Sat 04-Dec-10 16:41:23

The whole outfits screams primary teacher circa 1975

moondog Sat 04-Dec-10 16:41:28

That's better.
I am amazed you are gonig at all with twins and a new baby.
I went to a wedding when dd was 10 weeks and felt and probably looked like a bag of spanners.

The skirt is lovely - that would be fine, but the (first) top is rather too frumpy.

Wear the skirt with camel/tan knee-length boots.

and i like the to pi nthe second link - that's lovely.
You could wear it with a shawl rather than a cardi, then you can slip it off anytime you like.

top in

youngblowfish Sat 04-Dec-10 16:42:37

I love the blouse, not too keen on the skirt, sorry! Will try to have a quick look for alternatives, how about a nice pencil skirt?

ItalianLady Sat 04-Dec-10 16:43:41

The skirt is okay, the blouse not my taste.

Someone actually did come to my wedding in office gear. A non-descript skirt and a while blouse hmm.

this kind of thing
but in blue or cream

youngblowfish Sat 04-Dec-10 16:45:30

OK, clearly I don't know what I am talking about. Happy to concede defeat, the skirt would look lovely with the second top you found. Hope you have fun!

dairymoo Sat 04-Dec-10 16:46:05

Ok - I get the message - no to top and skirt together!! grin LOL at primary school teacher. I was thinking sexy secretary but am not sure that is a look I should be channeling for a wedding.

Pencil skirt would be fine, or some trousers (peg leg? cropped?) - just don't want to go down the dress route as I want to get more wear out of separates over the winter season.

DanceInTheDark Sat 04-Dec-10 16:47:45

Love the blouse but it should be worn with leggings or skinny jeans with boots.

Hate the skirt and the second top - sorry.

youngblowfish Sat 04-Dec-10 16:53:13

So you are still considering the blouse [hopeful emoticon]? Sexy, Mad-Men-style secretary is exactly what I was thinking grin.

dairymoo Sat 04-Dec-10 16:54:37

Maybe I'll just get the blouse anyway to wear with skinnies. Hmm. Still undecided on wedding attire though...

stickylittlefingers Sat 04-Dec-10 16:54:54

i am with Danceinthedark. I think you have had wholly conflicting advice so far!! The first top with very fitted trousers and some nice elegant boots would look good, I think. I wouldn't want that style top with a skirt, though, the shape would be weird.

DanceInTheDark Sat 04-Dec-10 16:56:26

if you wear the blouse with grey skinny jeans or jeggings and some high heel ankle boots - it is smart casual.

Although if you are 75 stone you will look pretty daft wink

DanceInTheDark Sat 04-Dec-10 16:59:13

shoes similar to this

FellatioNelson Sat 04-Dec-10 17:02:25

Not casual exactly, just too officey. Love that skirt though - want it.

dairymoo Sat 04-Dec-10 17:04:35

I'd love to wear grey skinnies with it and high boots - yes, that'd be the effortlessly cool look I'd like. But too casual? Might need to consult SIL to compare smartness of outfits.

Muumimama Sat 04-Dec-10 17:10:55

This top?

with

This skirt?

pink4ever Sat 04-Dec-10 17:13:05

I love both the top and the skirt seperately sorry but together they would be minging!(am jealous cos my boobs are too big to carry off pussy bow and I love them!)The top would look good with skinny smart trousers(msybe peg leg?) and I think with a really nice bag/jacket combo would be smart enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now