Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

You know all those short sleeved knitted dresses and tunic tops that are everywhere at the moment?

(11 Posts)
HopeForTheJingleBells Sat 04-Dec-10 14:27:19

Well, you quite obviously need to where something long-sleeved under them, right?

Depending on the neckline, either a round neck or a polo.

Well, my question is, when you do this layering thing, how do you stop it bunching up around the waist and making you look fat and lumpy?
I guess if you are wearing with jeans, then you can tuck it in.
But not with leggings or thick tights!

What do you do? I keep thinking that what I actually need under there is a body (you know, like a leotard thing) but surely that can't be right??

I don't get how you all get that lovely, fluid look.

I am dying to get into this look, as I am very tall and usually have the problem that tops are too short - now there are all these lovely long tops everywhere but over half of them are short sleeved!

Any advice / tips / S&B Trade Secrets would be much appreciated grin

BelligerentGhoul Sat 04-Dec-10 14:29:24

I wore a v long-line t-shirt under my short sleeve Westwood jersey dress last weekend and the t-shirt was so long that it worked as a kind of slip and didn't bunch.

Dexterrocks Sat 04-Dec-10 14:30:40

I did spot the return of the body (long sleeved and scoop necked) in the vest top underwear section of M&S a couple of weeks ago.
Just make sure the jumper is long enough to hide all VPL, especially if you are tall, as the body tops are often a bit short in the body and leggings are unforgiving re underwear!

youngblowfish Sat 04-Dec-10 14:33:25

I tuck my long-sleeved tops into my leggings and tights to stop them from looking too bulky. I also swear by good quality bodies - the cheap ones cut into you and are a bit nasty, but a good body can be very practical and comfortable.

Dexterrocks Sat 04-Dec-10 14:35:25

Where do you get the good ones youngblowfish? I am not tall but I have a long body and struggle to find good ones.

saythatagain Sat 04-Dec-10 14:36:53

Which bodies youngbloodfish? I'm tall (5'11") - the thought of a too short gusset etc makes me shudder (ouch).

HopeForTheJingleBells Sat 04-Dec-10 14:41:48

Thanks.
It's something that has been puzzling me for a while.

I'd also be interested in good quality bodies - I have the same problem that being tall, they tend to cut into me and get very uncomfortable.
I remember back in the day when bodies were "in" (late 80s? early 90s?), I had a whole selection of them, including polo neck ones. They really were rather practical, looking back.
I have a number of shortish a-line skirts that I never know what top to wear with either - anything that is too long ends up covering too much of the skirt, and too short cuts in visually in half and makes me look very odd. Bodies would be perfect for this!

I'm only wearing dresses and jumpers that come down to mid-thigh length, so no chance of VPL!

Must admit that I am not a fan of leggings, so I've been wearing them with jeans or just thick black tights.

HopeForTheJingleBells Sat 04-Dec-10 14:44:25

saythatagain I just went for a nosey on your profile (because I find myself inexplicably drawn to other tall women (not in a wierd way! )) and your daughter is gorgeous! smile

youngblowfish Sat 04-Dec-10 14:46:33

I swear by Wolford. They are expensive, but really worth the price. They wash very well and last ages. I have four different ones, which I bought in the sales last year - if you are not desperately in a rush, definitely wait for them to be reduced, unless price is not an issue. I'm 5'10'' and never had any issues with them being uncomfortable. Now they even do a good job of stretching over my pregnant bump without pulling over my arms or between my legs.

I also heard that American Apparel ones are decent, but I do not own any.

I made the mistake of buying ones from Primark, Warehouse and ASOS as well - they were all fairly awful.

SuperTheoryofSuperEverything Sat 04-Dec-10 14:47:26

American Apperal or Zara for good loooong bodies.

saythatagain Sat 04-Dec-10 18:47:47

Thanks Hope, that's a kind thing to say. I know what you mean about other tall women - I think I'm intrigued to see what they wear and how they carry themselves iyswim!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: