Talk

Advanced search

I'm sure it's been done to death, but should I buy GHD's????

(14 Posts)
Icoulddoitbetter Fri 03-Dec-10 20:55:43

Or rather should DH buy me some as a present.

I'm bit crap with doing my hair, and it's a bit unruly (not curly, just a bit big). I've got a couple of pairs of straighteners but they're a bit rubbish. I thought if I got some GHD's I can wash, straighten, and have decent looking hair for a few days with minimum fuss.

I was all ready to get DH to order some from Amazon (the cheapest I've found, £94) when I started to read the one star reviews and it's put me off slightly. I definitely wouldn't get them from Amazon, as there were quite a few reviews suggesting they were from a dodgy source. But my local Supercuts sells them for £99.

So, should I????

defineme Fri 03-Dec-10 20:59:37

I have had many pairs of straighteners and the only ones that do it like the hairdresser are the GHDs-well worth it. I don't regret the money I've spent o them, but I do on the cheaper ones!

You must use extra conditioner and heat protection spray though-getting hair that straight does damage it in the end.

Can you borrow a friends? The difference is obvious immediately.

RubyReins Fri 03-Dec-10 21:11:28

I've had mine for 8 years and they are wonderful. They have paid for themselves over and over. Buy cheap, buy twice as my mother says!

silver28 Fri 03-Dec-10 21:15:16

Yes, they are definitely worth it. Even if you don't want super straight hair, you can use them for smoothing down frizz, taming a fringe etc. GHD are a milion times better than any others I have tried. They glide through your hair, others seem to drag I find.

Icoulddoitbetter Fri 03-Dec-10 21:27:18

I've borrowed a friend's before, and I can see that they are much better than any of the other brands.

But the scary thing is all the reviews that say that they broke / blew up after four months to a year.......

silver28 Fri 03-Dec-10 21:39:47

Mine have lasted 8 years. My first pair did break within first year bit I got them replaced or repaired (I forget which) under the warranty.

bluebump Fri 03-Dec-10 21:42:25

Yes!

I've had mine for years now, they are great. I did get mine because my mum had a pair and they blew up whilst plugged in so she ran out and bought a new pair whilst hers were being repaired (how vain!) and then found herself with two pairs so I gratefully took a pair off her hands grin

EvilTwinsAteRudolph Fri 03-Dec-10 21:48:06

I've had mine for 3 years. They are brilliant and absolutely worth the cash. My hair isn't curly - just a bit frizzy, and I can either spend half an hour attempting to blow dry it properly with a round brush, or rough dry it and "iron" it with my GHDs.

Bearcat Fri 03-Dec-10 22:03:52

Definatetly get GHD's.
My cheap ones didn't actually meet at the ends when I looked properly at them and was wondering why GHD's did the job so much better.

CeliaChristmasFate Sat 04-Dec-10 09:02:37

I've had mine for 2 years and they've changed my life!!! Get 'em!

hillyhilly Sat 04-Dec-10 09:04:29

Had mine for 6 years, wouldn't be without them

dietcokesholidaysarecoming Sat 04-Dec-10 15:13:06

Yes and ASOS has them reduced as well.

Mine were £69 at beginning of year and They make straightening so much easier

Calamansi Sat 04-Dec-10 19:25:21

yes, yes, yes grin!

I've tried so many brands but they are the only ones that really work and are really worth the investment.

daimbardiva Sat 04-Dec-10 22:11:39

I've had mine for about 6 years, and they've been one of the best purchases I've ever made. I am similar to you I think in that I don't want to spend a huge amount of time on my hair, or wash every day, and if I use my GHDs this is fine. If not I really need a wash every day.

well worth the money - buy through a hairdresser though, or direct from GHD

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now