Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

can anybody please help me with moisturiser for a man?

(24 Posts)
BelligerentGhoul Fri 03-Dec-10 19:49:53

Dp says he'd like some moisturiser for Christmas. He's currently finishing up the cheapo Boots Botanics stuff we got him last year (so he clearly makes it last!).

Can anybody please rec something not too expensive for a man in his forties, who spends a lot of time outdoors?

No more than a tenner or so though, because he would go mad if I spent more than that on it!

Helium Fri 03-Dec-10 20:10:27

My husband likes the Norwegian fisherman stuff (which I probablynabbed at Sainsburys cause it was cheapish and not too girly). here

BelligerentGhoul Fri 03-Dec-10 20:21:27

Thanks Helium.

Any more - so I can see which smells best?

HotchpotchHoney Fri 03-Dec-10 20:24:47

My xh swears by the clinique one I don't think it was very expensive.

MentalFloss Fri 03-Dec-10 20:25:44

My DH loves the nivea sensitive one because everything else brings him out in rashes ... think it is about £7?

jumpinghoops Fri 03-Dec-10 20:27:12

I second Clinqiue for men- has won quite a few awards I think...

BelligerentGhoul Fri 03-Dec-10 20:30:09

Great - choices. Thanks.

lurkingsnurker Fri 03-Dec-10 20:30:58

A bit pricier, but this is fab, dh actually thinks it is worth the money! shock

pagwatch Fri 03-Dec-10 20:34:37

Keihls is bloody brilliant.
Facial fuel is excellent.
Dh is early 40s and has used clinique previously but I got some samples from spacenk and it is the first product he has ever raved about. ( he gets dry skin in the winter which gets sore)

KurriKurri Fri 03-Dec-10 20:35:40

My grown up DS uses L'oreal

and Nivea

Clinique moisturizers are nice, - but a bit pricey.

BelligerentGhoul Fri 03-Dec-10 20:38:16

Thanks the recs. I deffo want one of the cheaper ones though, as he would be horrified at my buying an expensive one for him.

KurriKurri Fri 03-Dec-10 20:46:34

Actually a good cheap basic moisturizer is this Johnsons Baby Naturals Intense moisturizer - It works really well, and smells quite pleasant. (Maybe not very manly, but all the men chez Kurri use it quite happily grin)

MarionCole Fri 03-Dec-10 20:50:13

Dh loves Kiehl too. And he's a bloke. The bottles look very understated, which I think appeals. They don't look 'poncey'!

pagwatch Fri 03-Dec-10 20:55:34

Belligerant

Of course . Dh is a 'how much!' kind of guy.grin
But do google some of the cliniques or keihls because they sometimes do really good offers that make them much better value. I got dh some keihls for his birthday and I got three travel size products free. He travels a lot so that was really good.
no rolling eyes or tutting .....

RubyReins Fri 03-Dec-10 21:16:36

DH uses Clinique and he loves it. He uses it daily and must buy a tube no more than once a year. Buy at Bonus Time as the men's gift is usually pretty good e.g. large tubes of shaving gel, moisturiser etc whereas the women's one generally has a mini bottle of that Happy stuff and a questionable colour lipstick.

BelligerentGhoul Fri 03-Dec-10 21:19:06

I promise I'm not tutting.

The thing is, whilst I know that sometimes 'buying cheap' means paying twice, dp really would rather have a cheapo one and some CDs! And even a cheapo one would be better than him not using one at all, I think.

Do any of the ones people have mentioned so far have sun protection, do you know?

charlieandlola Fri 03-Dec-10 21:20:30

Liz earle for men

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 03-Dec-10 21:21:16

Clinique is v.good - DH uses it when he finds a good offer.

At other times he uses a L'oreal one which is anti-wrinkle and something else, with SPF so good if your DH is outdoors.

At night he uses Clinique Dramatically Different because we have gallons of it sloshing about from freebies I get when I buy Clinique for me, and I don't use it.

BelligerentGhoul Fri 03-Dec-10 21:43:50

Ah, now the L'Oreal one sounds a possibility. Do you happen to know what it's called please?

Am put off Clinique a bit by the fact that I've bought their skincare stuff in the past for me and thought it was awful.

bluebump Fri 03-Dec-10 21:44:50

My DP uses the Molton Brown one for men - and then when he can't afford it the Aldi cheapo (maybe ladies) one which he likes just as much!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 03-Dec-10 22:00:32

DH is checking the bottle for me now

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 03-Dec-10 22:03:48

He has the post-shave balm which is v.cheap, and then over the top he uses Wrinkle Decrease moisturing cream.

Both are L'oreal Men Expert 'active defence system'.

DH is 40, and I do think that his skin has improved since he's started using it.

Simbacatlives Fri 03-Dec-10 22:04:24

Clinique. Mens clinique is much cheaper than womens.

Whenever you have to buy 2 items and one must be skincare for the free gift I get the mens shaving gel for dh. Less that £10- lasts forever- very good for legs

BelligerentGhoul Fri 03-Dec-10 22:06:48

Thanks Ali - will deffo investigate that one.

And I will have a look at Clinique - afraid not to, after all the recs on here!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: