Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Radley handbags

(18 Posts)
IWishIWasAFrog Thu 02-Dec-10 13:38:56

Following on from another thread, is radley bags really chav? I just bought BIL's girlfriend what I thought is a lovely Radley bag, should I return it?

Meglet Thu 02-Dec-10 13:41:15

Some people like them smile. They are a bit granny-ish IMO.

IWishIWasAFrog Thu 02-Dec-10 13:41:27

This one
for Christmas

IWishIWasAFrog Thu 02-Dec-10 13:43:18

oh no.
She's 31, clever, stylish girl, but never spends money on herself, she's a PhD student that earns peanuts. I though it would be a nice treat.
Should I return it?

Meglet Thu 02-Dec-10 13:45:15

She might like it.

I know people a lot younger than me (36) who like Radley bags.

bowbluebell Thu 02-Dec-10 13:45:37

That's a lovely bag. I woudl be delighted if my sister-in-law gave me that for Christmas!

festivefriedawhingesagain Thu 02-Dec-10 13:46:26

I quite like radley bags, have got a couple.

Not over keen on that particular syle TBH but I don't think they are especially chavvy.

I am a style free zone thoughgrin

LivinInThe80s Thu 02-Dec-10 13:47:16

I love radley, not chavvy or grannyish IMO, there are loads of diff styles

ANTagony Thu 02-Dec-10 13:48:23

I think that there is a difference between things that are chavy when they're used just because of the label (regardless of authenticity and quality) and labels that have gained popularity because they are well made and stylish.

I like Radley and I find that the bags last.

festivefriedawhingesagain Thu 02-Dec-10 13:50:02

this is nice

and I like this

IWishIWasAFrog Thu 02-Dec-10 13:54:08

That's why I bought it, ANTagony, I thought it would be a good quality bag. BIL said she doesn't have a nice black handbag, that's why I went for black.

My own bag is a very old Coach bag that is now falling apart, alternated with one that come free with perfume a few years ago. I'm useless at these things.

The3Bears Thu 02-Dec-10 13:54:28

I just bought my mum the pocket across body bag is this chavvy???

I thought she would love it

IWishIWasAFrog Thu 02-Dec-10 14:10:38

That's my problem too 3Bears! I never knew Radley was considered chavvy! I bought it in John lewis too! wink

minibmw2010 Thu 02-Dec-10 14:29:12

I don't consider Radley chavvy at all ... my most recent one was £185 and I love it. Plus I like the fact I'm buying a British brand. Go with what you like, ignore others.

minibmw2010 Thu 02-Dec-10 14:29:44

I meant to add, I find things like Gucci far more chavvy (even though clearly more expensive) as I hate really obvious labels/designs and I think the Radley Dog is very cute and discrete.

Meggles76 Thu 02-Dec-10 17:20:54

I wouldn't class Radley as chavvy. I think they are a matter of personal taste though. I am not overly keen on the tags and stitching detail on the bags. But if you do like that, they are well made quality bags.

CDMforever Thu 02-Dec-10 17:26:42

Radley's far too expensive for the Chav market. I have a Radley purse, very gorgeous it is too!

dexter73 Thu 02-Dec-10 17:31:32

I don't think they are chavvy but they are grannyish!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: