Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I want a warm hat!

(14 Posts)
GrimmaTheNome Wed 01-Dec-10 10:37:00

I want a nice warm hat that covers my ears. But with some style to it - anything that just hugs the head like beanies or those tasselly jobs (are they Andean or scandinavian??) look horrid on me.

DH won't be seen with me in any hat I've ever tried except a fur-rimmed one, which I like but it doesn't cover my ears.

Ideas anyone please?

Unwind Wed 01-Dec-10 10:40:18

Balaclava for your DH so he won't be seen with you?

KristinaM Wed 01-Dec-10 10:44:15

get rid of your DH and a whole range of hat opportunities will open up to you

GrimmaTheNome Wed 01-Dec-10 10:45:39

He's a very nice DH in most ways.

DD colludes with him, so I'd have to ditch her too. No, I need a hat! grin

PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo Wed 01-Dec-10 10:46:11

I like Olney hats. Not cheap, but definitely VFM - mine last a few years of heavy wear, are rainproof, robust and warm.

I've got the R4389 Beth Wax & Fur this year. Picture doesn't do it credit. The fluffy brim is much fluffier, and it keeps my ears warm even though it doesn't cover them completely. The fluffy bit does a good job of trapping warm air, as well as looking good.

youngblowfish Wed 01-Dec-10 11:14:17

How about these:

wide-brimmed

slightly narrower brim

or maybe an oversized beret?

If a hat does not cover your ears enough, you can always pop on a headband underneath. Most people won't even notice and you'll be warm.

PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo Wed 01-Dec-10 11:22:39

What about Tilley hats. Also very good (I have one and covet another grin) and the winter-wight ones have earwarmers that tuck away inside the hat.

Unwind Wed 01-Dec-10 11:26:04

or this:

http://www.marksandspencer.com/Una-Pure-Wool-Flora l-Corsage/dp/B003Y64MCO?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_1&sr=1-1& qid=1291202527

Unwind Wed 01-Dec-10 11:26:14

www.marksandspencer.com/Una-Pure-Wool-Floral-Corsa ge/dp/B003Y64MCO?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_1&sr=1-1&qid=129 1202527

brimfull Wed 01-Dec-10 11:27:11

try h&m
they had fur hats that covered ears as well
not on their online site though

PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo Wed 01-Dec-10 11:32:15

Oh that is a pretty hat, Unwind.

Wouldn't suit me though sad I need a brim to ballance out my Dangerous Dan jaw.

twoboots Wed 01-Dec-10 11:51:54

how about a head band like this

GrimmaTheNome Wed 01-Dec-10 13:45:09

I like the headband but I'd look like an ageing hippy in it grin

As for the rest - maybe my ears are oddly placed but I don't think any would fit the bill, however lovely they may be. Another criterion is to stay on in the wind.

Will look in H&M if I get into town if I can't find anything online - that sounds like it might be the sort of thing I'm after.

twoboots Wed 01-Dec-10 13:52:14

nowt wrong with ageing hippies

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: