Talk

Advanced search

Is there a natural shampoo i.e. no sodium whatsit, that doesn't cost the earth?

(45 Posts)
Curiousmama Wed 01-Dec-10 07:46:24

Anyone know of one? TIA

TwentiethCenturyHeffa Wed 01-Dec-10 07:50:25

I use Faith in Nature stuff which is pretty good (about £4 a bottle locally). My hair feels loads better since I switched to it a year ago. It still has ammonium laureth sulphate but no parabens or SLES.

mammya Wed 01-Dec-10 07:55:17

Try the Naked range from Boots, about £4 for 250ml.

cubscout Wed 01-Dec-10 08:13:32

Or some of the Lush range?

JustAnother Wed 01-Dec-10 09:05:27

Weleda from Waitrose.

brimfull Wed 01-Dec-10 09:10:01

i would like some bubble bath without sodium laureth as it makes my nose itch like mad -weird I know. Happens when I am doing washing up as well.

brimfull Wed 01-Dec-10 09:10:38

sulphate I mean

TragicallyHip Wed 01-Dec-10 09:14:26

Oh wow is that why my nose itches when I do the washing up!
I thought I was allergic to washing up grin

PeasPlease Wed 01-Dec-10 09:27:45

Waitrose Organic has no SLS and it is crrraaaaaaaaaaaaapppppp! It smells nice though.

twoboots Wed 01-Dec-10 09:30:33

apparently there are no sulphites in the rainforest.
this is my apres swim shampoo

mousymouse Wed 01-Dec-10 09:33:55

weleda calendula shampoo and body wash (waitrose baby aisle)
costs around 7£ and lasts ages.

ZacharyQuack Wed 01-Dec-10 10:01:00

Trilogy shampoo and conditioner is lovely.

bubble2bubble Wed 01-Dec-10 10:05:43

Second vote for Trilogy - gorgeous & lasts for ages, though shampoo's about £12. Weleda also excellent.
Green People is a very good quality range & a bit cheaper ( think think shampoo's about £7-8 but they quite often have online offers and will send you samples as well)

RamblingRosa Wed 01-Dec-10 10:09:03

I think Holland and Barratt are claiming all their stuff is SLS free now and they have a few cheapish things. I like Faith in Nature too but not always easy to find.

Superdrug do a cheap range called Samy which I think is SLS free.

Boots Naked range often have a buy 2 for £6 type deal on.

Unwind Wed 01-Dec-10 10:42:56

Baby shampoos? I am using Halos&horns

SLS is the stuff that makes shampoos and bubble baths froth, so the SLS free stuff is never as effective at lathering and removing product build up

So you also need to be careful to avoid silicones etc

BadPoet Wed 01-Dec-10 11:06:52

I have heard good things about the Louise Galvin range, although I haven't tried it myself and don't know where you get it (possibly Waitrose although there's none near me). That was useful, wasn't it.

I use Liz Earle shampoo, it's £7.50 and I find it really good. You can get it online or in John Lewis. I sometimes use the Weleda Calendula body/hair wash and have always used it on the kids. I get that from a seller on ebay, zandk natural - they are excellent.

I think the Naked range mentioned above is the most budget friendly sls-free range available.

Meglet Wed 01-Dec-10 11:08:05

IIRC the Lush solid shampoo bars have very few chemicals in.

otchayaniye Wed 01-Dec-10 12:12:46

I do curly girl method and low-poo sometimes and use Waitrose Organic, Aubrey Organics, Naked from Boots and Louise Galvin.

Aubrey Organics is the best but I have to order online and it does cost about 8 quid.

Waitrose one is about 3.70.

aquavit Wed 01-Dec-10 14:20:20

you do need to give it time for your hair to get used to it I think - I didn't like the waitrose organic ones at first (apart from the smell, yum) but once my hair was out of the silicones/sls cycle it looked much better. But now I'm using some of the Naked range and I love them (and they smell gorgeous too).

Also love the Neal's Yard ones but oh so expensive!

ggirl sls free bubble bath - try the little me organics baby bath (you can get them in boots) - they foam up quite well given that there is no sls and they smell GORGEOUS (there is a lavender one and a neroli one).

mippy Wed 01-Dec-10 15:50:35

I've been using The Body Shop's one, though when I use my scalp treatment shampoo, which has SLS in it, then it does feel better. Is it the brand that might be an issue or is it just that hair needs to get used to it?

I love the smell of the Waitrose one.

Curiousmama Wed 01-Dec-10 18:16:02

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I didn't know Liz Earle did shampoo? I use her skin products.

Think I'll get some of the naked range online and see how I get on with that?

Havingkittens Wed 01-Dec-10 20:44:33

The "Yes to Carrots" or "Yes to Tomatoes" ranges are good I think. You can get them from the Victoria Health website.

I didn't get on with the Naked shampoo, it made my hair feel very dry. The Waitrose Organic one felt really slimy, I was convinced I had bought a wrongly labelled bottle of conditioner. At the moment I am using my boyfriend's Black & White shampoo which has no SLS/Parabens etc as it's a formula from the 1950s to wash the Black and White hair pomade out but I think it might be stripping my hair a little so I will be watching this thread with interest.

Waitrose do seem to have a good range of organic products though. I am using the Dutchy lavender shower gel which is really nice. There is no difference between the formula for shower gel or bubble bath so you can use it in place of bubble bath too.

HollyBollyBooBoo Thu 02-Dec-10 02:01:00

1. Tara Smith from Tesco

2. Aveda - not cheap but gorg smell.

3. Optima Australian Tea Tree - Holland & Barrett

4. Dead Sea Natural Mineral from Boots. Naffola packaging but good product

I really didn't like Naked, couldn't get a comb through my hair without using masses of the conditioner after the shampoo.

Monadami Thu 02-Dec-10 02:17:39

Liz Earl does an apparently wonderful one which has many positive reviews. The product comes as a pack of 4 items 2 x 200ml Shampoo, 1 x 200ml Conditioner and a 30ml body wash and costs £22.50 from QVC.

I know a lady who is trained in Cosmetology and she swears by Liz Earl and says her products are one of the very few on the market that does what it says on the labels.

thelittlestkiwi Thu 02-Dec-10 04:46:28

Have you thought of making your own? Lots of recipes on the web and I've used this website for ingredients:

http://www.gonative.co.nz/shop/Make+Your+Own/Ready -made+Bases/Light+moisturiser+cream.html

But it is for NZ.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now