Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Help accessorising black dress for a ball?

(7 Posts)
BooBooGlass Tue 30-Nov-10 18:46:16

Please grin
I have a ball to go to next weekend and have managed to get a fabulous full length vintage black dress. It's strapless, quite close fitting and has a slight bustle at the back (^much^ nicer than it sounds I promise). The problem is that aside from the sit down dinner and dancing, a fair bit of the entertainment is outside and I risk freezing my norks off. I have a very nicely cut full length black coat to wear, but I think I need a shrug of some sort to cover my shoulders. I'm a size 10 but have ridiculously narrow shoulders so most things on me look like they were cut for a man.
I also need help with jewellery. The dress is very simple so I'm not sure wether to keep to some understated earrings or go for a big statement necklace? Am 27 but have a frustratingly young looking face (not a boast, it gets so wearing getting ID'd buying wine and looked up and down while carting my 2 dc around) so don't want to look like a little girl dressed in her mummys clothes iyswim confused

youngblowfish Tue 30-Nov-10 19:11:21

Size 10 and baby-faced after 2DCs? Lucky you, I say

The dress does sound lovely and I would go for something delicate with a vintage vibe - how about pearls? I'm imagining a lovely Audrey Hepburn vibe, which brings me to this shrug. Is that more or less what you'd like?

tethersjinglebellend Tue 30-Nov-10 19:16:27

How about this with pearl earrings?

Clure Tue 30-Nov-10 19:23:06

how about this instead of long coat
some fab statement jewellery here - drop earrings and a bling ring

Clure Tue 30-Nov-10 19:24:43

try that first link again
if not it's last sale fur jacket in the jackets/coats section

BooBooGlass Tue 30-Nov-10 19:34:23

Ooo those fur shrugs are spot on. But way more than I wanted to pay really. The dress cost less than twenty quid! I love the Warehouse jewellery, had been unimpressed by my mooch around Monsoon earlier. Is fur too ott though?

youngblowfish Tue 30-Nov-10 19:44:59

Of course fur is OTT, but you are dressing up, aren't you?

Cheaper alternatives:
shrug 1
shrug 2
shrug 3 - I think I like this one best from this ebay selection.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: