Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What's the difference between a full head and a half head of highlights?

(12 Posts)
PercyPigPie Tue 30-Nov-10 16:53:16

Which part does half a head cover? (just one side? hmm)

Which needs re-doing more often?

Thanks

apple99 Tue 30-Nov-10 16:58:22

Half head is the top and a few around the sides/back, not the underneath.

I have half head as I never wear my hair up so no-one ever see's the underneath of my hair.

GetOrfMoiLand Tue 30-Nov-10 17:01:03

Half head - just the top of your head and the crown.

Whole head - the whole lot.

Half head highlights about £70 (with cut and blow dry) full head about £120.

I get a whole head once a year and half head about 3 times in between.

I never wear my hair up, is only noticeable if you do that.

happilyeverafter Tue 30-Nov-10 17:10:35

As above, I usually get half head done.

Sometimes if I'm trying to space out intervals between appointments (like getting mine done a little closer to Christmas rather than mid november when it started to look drab) I get parting highlights done.

southeastastra Tue 30-Nov-10 17:17:18

i had half done once and it looked really awful with re-growth wouldn't bother again personally

BitOfFun Tue 30-Nov-10 17:23:23

I usually get a half-head. My hair's quite fair anyway though, so the re-growth isn't very noticable. It costs £25.

PercyPigPie Tue 30-Nov-10 18:47:47

Thanks - hopefully I can start off with a full head and move on to half then.

Meggles76 Tue 30-Nov-10 20:44:54

Ditto - I have a bob. Only ever get half head.

Hulababy Tue 30-Nov-10 20:47:24

I have half head. They only do the top bits not underneath. I do ths as I only want to enhance my natural colour and I have no grey to cover as yet.

MmeBlueberry Tue 30-Nov-10 20:49:31

If you've never had colour before, then you get full head. After that, you either get roots, box section or half-head, depending on how much is showing. Once a year, you need to get full head as the underneath bits start to show.

Highlights is a differnt thing altogether.

PercyPigPie Tue 30-Nov-10 21:12:32

Mme Blueberry how do you mean highlights are a different thing? I thought we were talking about highlights (though I actually meant to type 'lowlights' in the original post but I assume they are much the same).

Gotabookaboutit Tue 30-Nov-10 23:56:02

Mud - half head /full head is usual for lowlights or highlights - As most are saying get a full head to start - 2 colours if possible as gives more natural finish and regrowth can look less. Then have half or even just parting done the next time - not only cheaper but stops your hair being over processed - and again depending on the contrast can look more natural as your hair is naturally darker underneath. If you have a lot of grey - or want a really different look - you can have a full head of highlights plus an all over colour - preferably near your own colour

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: