Talk

Advanced search

Dark nail varnish recommendations

(43 Posts)
berri Tue 30-Nov-10 10:50:33

My current one is a bit gloppy & dries dull - what are the nicest ones?

Maryqueenofchocs Tue 30-Nov-10 11:47:10

Vendetta by chanel is a dark dark purple - gorgeous for winter, nearly black but softer.grin

berri Tue 30-Nov-10 12:40:14

How much is the Chanel? I fear a bit out of my budget...

MrsMeow Tue 30-Nov-10 12:48:01

Ciate 'Dangerous Affair' this one is a gorgeous blood red colour. I don't usually like red nail polish but this one is dark enough to look slightly different to the others.

Also, Nails Inc 'Saville Row' here is a purply red colour, and lasts really well.

jammietart Tue 30-Nov-10 12:59:08

I'm loving Paradoxal by Chanel atm or Rouge Noir is a great dark colour but I tend to use more in the summer. But they are pricey. Maybe £16?

berri Tue 30-Nov-10 13:17:12

Don't mind paying if they last longer or go on more smoothly I suppose...are the Chanel ones worth the extra?

jammietart Tue 30-Nov-10 13:25:10

I only use Chanel (get me!) but only wear occasionally so get through approx 2 bottles a year! i can't imagine they are that much better quality than Nails inc for example but I find the colours that much better iyswim.

noddyholder Tue 30-Nov-10 13:27:08

Rouge noir always looks great and lasts without chipping.

AlpinePony Tue 30-Nov-10 13:34:36

I've got Rouge Noir and it's "nice" but it still chips. Nail varnish is a foreign object on a nail, so it's your nail's defence mechanism to have it chip off - nothing is going to guard against this.

Personally if I only want to splash a few quick I'm really happy with the L'Oreal stuff. I ignore the fact they test on animals. blush But these days with the prices of L'Oreal going up and Chanel down there's often not much in it.

noddyholder Tue 30-Nov-10 13:49:08

grin I didn't realise my nail had a defence mechanism.I have always found chanel long lasting if applied in 2 coats and dry fully in between.Obviously all varnishes chip eventually

iTigress Tue 30-Nov-10 13:58:33

Nails Inc Savile Row is free with a mag this month - poss Marie Claire. Anyway it's lovely, dark purpley wine colour and
doesn't chip <examines nails proudly>

MooMinCow Tue 30-Nov-10 13:59:06

OPI lasts well (Lincoln Park is the dark shade I think), but I think as long as you use a decent base and top coat you will get a good shiny longlasting finish.

I bought an Aldi own brand (Lacura)colour in a purple/berry colour and it lasted a whole week without chipping! Was v. impressed with it (lasted better than my Essie one I've currently got on which chipped after one day - grr). Am going to buy some more colours next time I go!

polyhymnia Tue 30-Nov-10 14:26:08

I am besotted by Essie's Chinchilly at the moment - a really wearable grey. Seems to look good wih everything. But guess it might not be dark enough for you.

Elemental Tue 30-Nov-10 15:25:49

I love OPI's Give Me Moor, a blackish red-purple.

Jbck Tue 30-Nov-10 15:36:53

Bourjois chips less than Chanel and I prefer the colour. Cerise Noir I think.

Like No 7 stay perfect Temptress. Find that these go gloopier quicker rather than being inferior on your nail.

I'm wearing the Nails Inc dark one from Glamour. It's been on 10 days and through a lot of snow wear . Bit chipped but not horrendous and as I know it's going to get loeads more snoe wear till I know I'm going back to work I'm not replacing it [lazy slovenly face]

woopsidaisy Tue 30-Nov-10 16:14:24

I too love the Chanel colours. But you do need a base and top coat to prevent chipping. Also keep them in the fridge once opened. They will stay "fresh" for ages!My faves are rouge noir,Dragon and Paradoxal.

wildfig Tue 30-Nov-10 16:45:49

Top coat is your friend: Seche Vite's the best.

OPI do gorgeous dark colours, like Russian Navy (very very dark blue) and Suzi Says Da (chocolate)

JustBeachy Tue 30-Nov-10 18:30:08

A budget version of rouge noir is Rimmel "Celebrity Bash" lovely - might have to do mine tonight!

Cyb Tue 30-Nov-10 18:40:03

yy to top coat. I bung a new layer on each night. keeeps nails like new

Cyb Tue 30-Nov-10 18:40:51

Russian Navy by OPI veh flattering.

I ahve a dark brown one on by No17 atm- I rate their longevity too

iTigress Tue 30-Nov-10 19:24:40

Oh yes it's Glamour, not Marie Claire. And it's only £2 for the mag and the nail polish is normally £8-£10 so it's a bargain.

RubyReins Tue 30-Nov-10 20:02:59

I've been a cheapskate and bought loads of Glamour mags for their free Nails Inc polishes. They'll do as stocking fillers!

Saville Row is a lovely purple and Hampstead Heath is a nice dark pinkish red. They last very well.

I second JustBeachy's recommendation of Rimmel's Celebrity Bash - a lovely shade and I always have red/dark nails. A top coat is a must and Seche Vite is the best. Also, worth knowing that Bourjois and Chanel are the same company and Bourjois is a pretty terrific budget line as a result. Can't remember who told me that...

berri Wed 01-Dec-10 12:26:38

Ooh thanks for the Glamour tip - excellent!

muddlinleigh Wed 01-Dec-10 12:47:52

Lincoln Park after Dark is the dark OPI shade. Barry M does an identical colour to Chanel's Paradoxal called Dusky Mauve. Would second the longevity and quality of Aldi's colours, they have a lovely dark brown that makes my nails look like Maltesers. I've got quite a lot of Essie colours (including Chinchilly) but they do chip really easily.

whoneedssleepanyway Wed 01-Dec-10 13:34:32

Imperial rouge by Jessica gorgeous colour.

this

I currently have Jessica everlasting manicure on my nails in cherrywood which is also lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now