Talk

Advanced search

Help with shoes to wear with 1920s style velvet flapper dress?

(10 Posts)
Sariska Sun 28-Nov-10 22:39:19

I have bought this to wear to a wedding in December. It's olive green with a bronzey trim to the hem. I have a sparkly gold cardy (and a big coat) that I can wear over the top but am at a loss as to shoes. (Am frankly rubbish at shoe shopping.) Can anyone help, please? Price is flexible but less is probably best as I've spent rather a lot recently blush.

Any bag ideas also welcome, even though I will mostly be accessorising with a changing bag.

domesticslattern Sun 28-Nov-10 22:48:25

Surprisingly I quite like the footwear which the model is wearing. Would be tempted to look for a plainer version of them.

Alternatively, go flapper style and get them dyed to match? Some nice twenties style shoes with a button and strap here. (Sorry you have to scroll through to see them).

But to be honest you probably want something more modern than looking twenties head-to-toe?

Cyb Sun 28-Nov-10 22:49:21

I woudl go for some ball room type shoes IYSWIM

Office usully do nice ones, in metallics

EthelredOnAGoodDay Sun 28-Nov-10 22:51:07

i would say lowish heel shoes with a t-bar or mary janes? But as domesticslattern said above, might be a bit too 20's??

Cyb Sun 28-Nov-10 22:55:24

Acually on second thoughts I think the shoe boot style worn by the model makes the dress more modern

Sariska Sun 28-Nov-10 23:19:32

Ooh, thanks for your thoughts - and so quickly too smile. I did wonder about Mary Janes or similar but, no, am not too keen on looking like I've stepped out of a time warp. However, I have to admit I am liking the idea of something with a strap and button fastening in a metallic shade. Will check out Office and domesticslattern's link to see if there is anything not too time warpish. Will also think about shoe boots as I like them v. much and would probably get much more use long term out of a pair of them.

tethersjinglebellend Mon 29-Nov-10 11:46:05

These would be lovely... as would these or these.

Oooh, so would these

EWeatherwax Mon 29-Nov-10 12:15:48

Super dress - I personally would go modern - but maybe not as clompy as the models.

domesticslattern Mon 29-Nov-10 13:53:36

or these in black velvet. Quite sensible ish.

these come in bronze.

Sariska Tue 30-Nov-10 20:50:27

Sorry, late back to the thread, but thank you for all your suggestions. I like several of the shoes linked to and 4 or 5 other pairs on the Office website. Who knows, maybe I will end up buying more than one pair!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now