Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Best face cream please??

(30 Posts)
teenyweenytadpole Sun 28-Nov-10 22:30:08

Sorry another one from me, I have asked my MIL to buy me some nice moisturiser for Christmas, she wants to know what to buy, budget about 40 quid I think. There is a special offer on Boots protect and perfect to buy a gift set supposedly worth 90 odd and she has asked if I want that but I am not sure, I don't tend to use night cream as it always feels too rich. I really just want one thing that does it all! I am 43 if that makes any difference, pretty good skin but some signs of ageing round the eyes. What should I ask for??? Thanks!

BlockedPoster Sun 28-Nov-10 22:31:19

Depends alot on skin type I think.

Dry? sensitive? oily? etc.

teenyweenytadpole Sun 28-Nov-10 22:42:35

Sort of normal really, have always been told I have good skin, but I think it just needs a bit of a treat, I am just cleaning it with aqueous cream at the moment and not using any moisturiser and it's looking a bit tired. I do wear a tinted moisturiser sometimes in the day, or foundation, depending on the weather. I like light textures that sink in easily.

KenDoddsDadsDog Sun 28-Nov-10 22:46:07

Elemis Pro Collagen is lovely. You can get good starter sets in Debenhams & John Lewis.
Also I have heard good things about La Roche Posay/ Posey. A brand they just sell on the 'normal' skincare shelves in Boots.

ManicMother7777 Mon 29-Nov-10 15:38:38

Clarins Extra firming day cream - aimed at the 40s age group. It's gorgeous, but be warned, you'll be hooked. It's about £40 I think.

AbsofCroissant Mon 29-Nov-10 15:47:19

I've been using this which I find rather good (especially in winter, when my skin gets dried out because of all the central heating etc. etc.)

TheSleepFairy Mon 29-Nov-10 15:51:03

I love Dear john by Benefit it's areally smooth & light moisturizer.

Mummyisamonster Mon 29-Nov-10 18:13:50

I love Superskin by Liz Earle - really plumped up my knackered old face. About £30 for a big jar.

twoboots Mon 29-Nov-10 18:27:16

yonka fruitellia it those all important aha's hmm
its pricey but lasts ages

gregssausageroll Mon 29-Nov-10 18:59:50

Olay total effects.

sh77 Mon 29-Nov-10 19:19:42

I second Elemis Pro Collagen - For 50 quid, I got an amazing deal from John Lewis on Friday as they had 10% off their sets. 30ml cream, 10ml collagen serum, 15ml eye cream + 3 decent sized tubes of samples (15ml pro collagen, masque, and shower gel).

ladylush Mon 29-Nov-10 20:48:10

I like Clarins hydraquench but I've just ordered Korres wild rose 24 hour cream with 6 spf. Am hoping it hydrates well as have run out of clarins hydraquench and fancied trying something different.

pinkbraces Mon 29-Nov-10 20:51:07

I second Liz Earle, its like a little pot of heaven

KarenHL Mon 29-Nov-10 20:55:28

My fave nightcream is made by Trevarno Skincare. It is the one product I could not manage without (because it is so good to my skin, which is hugely sensitive and flares up with pretty much every other product tried).

They do daycreams, but the one with SPF doesn't suit me quite so well (so I only use that one in the Summer). The one without SPF I find good all year round, I'm just lazy in the Summer and use the excuse not to apply suncream first thing!

TheNextMrsDepp Mon 29-Nov-10 20:56:14

I love Protect & Perfect, also Olay. I'm 43 too!

BelligerentGhoul Mon 29-Nov-10 20:58:03

Neals Yard ones are good. Or Olay regenerist.

teenyweenytadpole Wed 01-Dec-10 13:02:02

Wow, loads of ideas, thanks! I am leaning towards asking for a gift voucher so I can do my own browsing....thanks for the ideas.

otchayaniye Wed 01-Dec-10 14:09:37

Neal's Yard Frankincense and Rosehip oil for night is good.

Olay Regenerist - my makeup artist (as in top top top makeup artist) rates this highly

I use Embryollise - not anti-aging but I like how it feels to put makeup on afterwards.

kizzie Wed 01-Dec-10 14:20:57

Ive been using Clinique New Youth Surge SPF15 Age Decelerating Moisturizer (the one for very dry skin but you can also get one for normal skin).

I have very dry skin and moisturiser is the only thing i really spend money on. Even so - I still struggle to find something that works. Ive been really pleased with this.

kizzie Wed 01-Dec-10 14:21:24

ps. im 40

LadyViper Wed 01-Dec-10 14:22:40

I like Estee Lauder, its nice and light and you only need a tiny bit.

thesecondcoming Wed 01-Dec-10 14:56:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hobbittoes Wed 01-Dec-10 16:56:34

What's the JL offer theseconcoming - couldn't see anything online?

minibmw2010 Wed 01-Dec-10 17:33:05

I use the whole Olay Regenerist range and my skin loves it (even though I'm pretty hormonal due to pregnancy and the cold) (not the red 3 point treatment part though, the original range).

thesecondcoming Wed 01-Dec-10 17:51:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: