Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Dressing gowns.......cosy but glamorous-ish

(21 Posts)
CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 27-Nov-10 20:17:53

Need a new dressing gown for Chrimbo. My current one is nice and cosy for winter - just terry towelling but is starting to look very worn and faded.

I've seen this one in M&S which looks a bit like an over-priced but lovely one in the White Company, but I was wondering how warm velour is? It's basically polyester, innit, so would I get sweaty and disgusting?

Anyway, my question is - is velour as cosy than hotel robe-esqe terry towelling???

CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 27-Nov-10 20:18:39

as cosy AS

bodiddly Sat 27-Nov-10 20:26:58

I think the velour/velvet on that M&S dressing gown is quite thin which is why it looks nice and not too bulky. It probably isnt the warmest!

missmartha Sat 27-Nov-10 21:07:32

Bonsoir make great dressing gowns.

I have 4 pairs of their brushed cotton pjs. They're good quality thick fabric, really cosy.

http://www.bonsoirdirect.com/lkid/30/category-Dres sing-Gowns-GOWN/

missmartha Sat 27-Nov-10 21:08:29

[http://www.bonsoirdirect.com/lkid/30/category-Dre s sing-Gowns-GOWN/}}

Sorry, got carried away and forgot brackets, oops.

missmartha Sat 27-Nov-10 21:09:29

[http://www.bonsoirdirect.com/lkid/30/category-Dre s sing-Gowns-GOWN/]]

Third time lucky I hope.

missmartha Sat 27-Nov-10 21:10:18

sing-Gowns-GOWN/

Only on tea, honestly.

missmartha Sat 27-Nov-10 21:11:15

Oh I give up.

Just google bonsoir.

CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 27-Nov-10 21:19:48

Had a quick google - sorry but I think they look mostly a bit grannyish!

It's difficult - I want cosy but not grannyish. Didn't really mind grannyish when I was early 20s cos it was kind of ironic!! but now I'm approaching 40 I'd be treading on dangerous ground. grin

missmartha Sat 27-Nov-10 21:27:46

Really dead classic stuff.

Sexy granny. Depends what's filling them.

CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 27-Nov-10 22:59:25

Two fried eggs and a jelly belly?

grin

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 27-Nov-10 23:06:16

Flippin eck they're expensive.

At the end of the day [cliche anyone] you wear a dressing gown when you're trudging round the house looking your worst. You are not going to look glamorous. Get something warm and affordable and imo they look best when worn loose with pyjama bottoms. No one looks good in someting shapeless which wraps round the waist like that.

brimfull Sun 28-Nov-10 07:01:27

I got a cashmere/woolen one from boden a few yrs back in their sale. Tis very cosy and not bulky at all ,although not sure ut's glamourous.
Try Hush for similar.

diddl Sun 28-Nov-10 07:52:13

Perhaps you need a cardigown?

moragbellingham Sun 28-Nov-10 07:55:12

I live in an M&S fleece one in a hideous colour and my attempt to do the same as you was to buy this last year.

If you wait till early Dec you should be able to find it for half price.
I think it's cotton/towelling on the inside and velour outside.

moragbellingham Sun 28-Nov-10 07:56:49

I bought some lovely chocolate pj's for underneath which makes it look a whole lot better!

CurlyhairedAssassin Sun 28-Nov-10 11:45:18

Morag, that's the one I'd seen in White Company that I thought was overpriced. Tis lovely. But the M&S one is only a bit less and I think I've got some discount code for the White Company.

I do love the White Comopany one the best and it's 100% cotton so think I'm going to go with that.

I agree, they ARE expensive, but my current one is about 15 years old so I do get my wear out of them!

moragbellingham Sun 28-Nov-10 12:00:19

Mine was £22, you'd be gutted in a week or so's time if you bought it now!!!
It's defo worth that much but would pay full price for it.

moragbellingham Sun 28-Nov-10 12:01:03

Sorry, meant would pay £45wink

moragbellingham Sun 28-Nov-10 12:01:19

Aaarghh, I meant NOT pay!

CurlyhairedAssassin Sun 28-Nov-10 19:28:23

Morag, discount code is for 15% off now, do I tell hubby to hold fire with that then and see if it goes down to £22?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: