Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Help me clothe my DH who loves his office attire a bit TOO much

(11 Posts)
MarketingMania Fri 26-Nov-10 19:36:32

he has no casual clothes! he lives the entire week in his work suits and sat and sunday in his trackie bottom and a t shirt . He only owns one pair of jeans.
W e are going to my friends for the weekend next weekend and he has no smart casual clothes - he really is useless at shopping and i want to help

I need to order some things for him for whats in for a 40 year in pale, dark haired consevtive man ? that isnt the same stufff my dad wears
He hates v necked tops, stripes, cardigans and slim fit stuff.

thanks

LolaLadybird Fri 26-Nov-10 21:17:05

DH is by no means a sartorial god but has a passable weekend wardrobe through some careful coaching over recent years! His weekend wardrobe basically consists of jeans/cords, polo shirt and nice, outdoorsy pullover fleece top. If slightly smarter is called for then some nice check shirts again with cords or some smart casual trousers and a fine-knit v-neck jumper (think merino wool or cashmere).

DH will not do what he considers 'trendy' (couldn't even get him to try on jeans in Fat Face on the basis they had too many pockets grin) but shops fairly happily in Gap. Crew also do some very good classic smart-casual clothes but is a bit on the pricey side. Outdoor shops (Millets, Blacks, Mountain Warehouse) are good for the fleeces.

tulpe Fri 26-Nov-10 21:20:08

Gap is a good starting point. My DH is quite conservative but for super casual now does dark jeans, long sleeve tee and shirt over the top or cords, tee and v neck merino knit. Paul Smith (regular line not the Jeans line) is great if finances allow. Introduced DH to the store 4 years ago and he is now a total convert.

tulpe Fri 26-Nov-10 21:24:40

And footwear wise - either converse or brown boots

fairydust Sat 27-Nov-10 11:59:32

come weekend my dh tends to weat jeans with chunky jumpers or a thin jumper and a suit jacket - coat is a woolen type ones shoes are either smart brown or he's now got some brown trainners style ones which look good with jeans and a jumper.

SickOnMyShoulder Sun 28-Nov-10 08:12:06

My DH wears jumpers like this one from Next with a white tshirt under it anddark jeans and a stripey scarf.

MarketingMania Sun 28-Nov-10 21:35:11

Thank you all lots of ideas

off to Gap tomorrow

what do you think of knitted tank tops over shirts for the weekend?

NinkyNonker Mon 29-Nov-10 15:57:08

Crew Clothing are great for casual shirts,reasonably priced knit wear etc. Can't link from phone,but dh likes their stuff and he isn't into clothes. I might have a discount code somewhere for them,otherwise they often do mid season reductions so I tend to pick him up a few shirts/jumpers/sweater vests then. They all wash brilliantly and last well.

NinkyNonker Mon 29-Nov-10 15:58:24

Yes to tank top type things.

WikiFreak Mon 29-Nov-10 16:37:20

lambswool/cahsmere knitted sweaters
depends on his shape of course
NICE shoes ( hem hem)
not dad jeans
nice casual coat

Meggles76 Mon 29-Nov-10 16:51:07

I recently helped DH sort out his weekend wear. I don't think he had bought anything for years. He is nearly 40 and tall and slim.
Anyway he got the following:

2 pairs of jeans (He went to JL and tried on lots of pairs until he found a fit that he was comfortable with)

3 shirts - a plain blue one from GAP, a floral one from Boden and a stripe one from H&M

3 plain Ts - grey, navy and white from JL

2 V neck Lambswool jumpers from M&S
1 cashmere crewneck from JL in the sale

He already had a Parka style coat for winter which is fine. He also bought a black North Face jacket which is nice and practical.

Shoes wise, he wears camper shoes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: