Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Clothes for school disco for dd(7)

(15 Posts)
hotcrossbunny Wed 24-Nov-10 12:24:45

I couldn't work out where to put this, but thought I'd try all you S&B gurusgrin

Dd is about to go to her first ever school disco and we don't have a clue what she should wear. On the grapevine I've heard that it'll be an eye-opener for usshock Apparently there'll be high heels, make up etc

Dd is very much into what's comfy and pretty, and still likes dresses etc. I don't want her to look out of place, when she already lacks confidence.

All ideas gratefully received!

lucysmum Wed 24-Nov-10 12:31:41

when my oldest was 7 she would still have been in pretty dresses etc. Now my middle one is 7 she seems much more grown up and more clothes conscious. Would probably suggest skinny jeans and funky t shirt, or denim skirt with sparkly leggings. No heels - perhaps ballet pumps from eg monsoon and definitely no make up but maybe I'm old fashioned

Tikitikitembo Wed 24-Nov-10 12:33:54

There is usually a combination of heels and mini skirts and jeans and t - shirts. Mine goes to discos in jeans and a t shirt as do all their friends.

FranSanDisco Wed 24-Nov-10 12:33:59

I'd let her pick out a party dress she likes/owns. I would say no to heels and makeup. Talk to her about why it's not appropriate to wear them at her age. Don't follow the crowd if it's not you so that your dd fits in. It's a slippery slope ime.

BadPoet Wed 24-Nov-10 12:35:19

My 7yr old pretty much goes to all parties/discos in tunic dresses and leggings with flat ballet pump shoes, generally silver ones. Sometimes a cardigan. No heels or makeup - I wouldn't allow heels, if she wanted makeup I'd be ok with some of the kiddy sparkly stuff but she's not interested. She's definitely on the 'younger' side of some of her friends but luckily it doesn't bother her.

A bit of sparkle goes a long way I think. And purple rather than pink seems to be 'the' colour for her age group. I'm not keen on black on my girl (she's very fair and it's too harsh), but black leggings or tights instantly make an outfit more 'grown-up' and again some glitter or sequins helps.

Rockbird Wed 24-Nov-10 12:38:29

8yo niece goes to parties, as BadPoet said, in leggings, tunic type tops and sparkly ballet pumps from Monsoon. She's been dressing like that for parties for a coulpe of years now.

hotcrossbunny Wed 24-Nov-10 12:39:12

Wow, that was fast!

Yes, no heels and no make up are a definite, and tbh, she wouldn't want them either. I like the idea of adding sparkle with leggings... She already has a denim skirt, I'm sure we can find a suitable T-shirt. Good idea about the ballet pumps, will get looking.

Don't suppose you've seen anything suitable in the shops? I haven't been shopping for ages...

hotcrossbunny Wed 24-Nov-10 12:42:08

Ooh, am liking the monsson stuff, but am a little shock at the price!

boogeek Wed 24-Nov-10 12:44:37

It's party dresses here still - a few extra-funky children go for leggings and skirts.

mrsruffallo Wed 24-Nov-10 12:46:05

I wouldn't expect heels and make up , am a bit shocked by that!
I have a fashion concious daughter.She has chosen sometinhg like this with skinny jeans and pumps, and hair up wiyh a pretty clip

hotcrossbunny Wed 24-Nov-10 12:49:11

Am very relieved you're all shocked by the heels/make up thingsmile I know I'm an old fogey, but it seems very much too much too young. Am satisfied that we'll be able to stick to her old favourites for a bit longer, if this thread is anything to go by!

Thank yousmile

crumpet Wed 24-Nov-10 12:54:42

Mine has gone in black shorts and a pair of black sparkly tights - see m+s for tights

Bramshott Wed 24-Nov-10 12:59:08

DD (Yr 3) would probably wear something like this with plain black or white leggings or jeans, and flat silver pumps. She would also probably wear a bit of sparkly eyshadow and lip gloss that she would have put on herself (very badly!) as I tend to be pretty relaxed about make-up.

ShanahansRevenge Wed 24-Nov-10 12:59:10

Yes...the ones in heels will be a minority...and I think the leggings and tunic combo is perfect for this age.

My DD is 6 and very conscious...so I tend to give her age apropriate clothing and a little modern handbag from claires as a "nod" to fashion....

HotchpotchHoney Wed 24-Nov-10 14:09:48

I was helping out on the PTA for a year 3 disco, the majority wore jeans and sparkly tops for the girls, a few girls wore party dresses, along the lines of satin with net underskirts, one or tow though did wear glittery heels, tight tops and mini skirts wiht footless tights and make up.
the consensu seemed to be a small amount of neautral eyeshadow and a slick of gloss was acceptable on the whole, but full on make up like a couple had was a bit too far.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: