Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a new mascara for me?

(27 Posts)
penona Mon 22-Nov-10 22:35:15

Hello, I am in need of a new black mascara. Pre children I mostly used Clinique Naturally Glossy in Black, or some various Lancome ones. When the kids were born I downgraded to No7 waterproof, but I am getting very fed up with it. It's a bit rubbish and feels cheap and I want a treat!

Mascara is the only make up I wear every day now, so I'd like something nice but not too lash-thickening/ enhancing (I use Clinique High Impact for going out with full slap on!). I can't really afford to make a load of mistakes, so hoping the wisdom of Mumsnet can help me.

otchayaniye Tue 23-Nov-10 00:31:52

MaxFactor Masterpiece Max - costs a tenner. I think it rivals Lancome ones. Not too false effect-ey so good for day.

otchayaniye Tue 23-Nov-10 00:32:50

I too have downgraded (used to be a Sisley and Lancome fan)

I have also recently bought MaxFactor Xperience weightless foundation as I didn't have the cash for Laura Mercier TM and I am impressed. I think it's actually better than LM.

OnEdge Tue 23-Nov-10 00:45:05

I have one called stiletto which is good

2blessed2bstressed Tue 23-Nov-10 01:45:12

I love Lancome L'Extreme. Have tried almost every other one on the market blush but nothing suits me so well.
You can apply anything up to 6 coats without it going clumpy, so it's good for day, then apply another layer if you're going out and want that "false lash" effect.

ullainga Tue 23-Nov-10 09:24:30

If you want a) a treat but b) something more suitable for everyday use and not too thickening then I would certainly recommend Chanel Inimitable. I promise, it's exactly what you are looking for. No clumping, gives you beautiful lashes, but also modest enough suitable for day use.

carciofi Tue 23-Nov-10 09:25:29

I like Estée Lauder doublewear mascara but also think that MaxFactor Masterpiece Max is very good.

MollysChambers Tue 23-Nov-10 09:27:50

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/promotional_codesbargains/108 0812-Free-Precision-Lash-Mascara-worth-12-50-from- Vie-at-Home

Link to offer on Vie at Home mascara in case thats of interest?

Havingkittens Tue 23-Nov-10 09:36:09

Masterpiece Max is a great everyday mascara. It makes the lashes look longer but in a natural way and really separates them well. I am a make up artist and it is a staple in my kit, as well as the False Lash Effect one for a more glam look.

Havingkittens Tue 23-Nov-10 09:37:22

Oh, by the way, I just bought some the other day. I can't remember if it was in Boots or Superdrug but they had a 3 for 2 deal on quite a few make up items across the brands. Not sure if the deal's still on but worth a look!

polyhymnia Tue 23-Nov-10 09:48:02

This probably isn't very helpful because you know about it already, but I do keep coming back to Clinique naturally glossy for everyday because I like a subtle, natural look and I find others, including Laura Mercier, just aren't as good.

Tried the latest By Terry mascara the other day and loved it - but quite a lot dearer and would probably only use it 'for best' so don't think it's what you're looking for.

IWouldNotCouldNotWithAGoat Tue 23-Nov-10 11:21:00

Lancome Definils is my fave.

moragbellingham Tue 23-Nov-10 16:47:49

Max Factor Masterpiece for me too every time. Perfect black/brown for daytime and usually on a 3 for 2 at Boots at some point.

c0rns1lk Tue 23-Nov-10 16:50:10

I bought a dior one ij Summer which I liked but fancy a sisly or the chanel one now. dior better than hypnose I thought

ricketyrock Tue 23-Nov-10 16:53:03

clinique curling mascara
nice consistency
very very smudgeproof but comes off in warm water
nice amount of thickening and not spidery

Horton Tue 23-Nov-10 17:01:45

Clinique Long Pretty Lashes is v similar to Naturally Glossy, but with a bit more oomph, if you want something similar to what you already like. The brush is similar to the Naturally Glossy one, too, which is a big bonus for me. I love that brush.

gettingout Tue 23-Nov-10 17:06:33

I love the Dior Blackout backstage or some such nonsense. It sounds scary and drag queeny but it isn't at all. No clumping, stays put all day but comes off easily without anything special to remove it. I just use a face wash and it comes away fine. Its about £22.

penona Tue 23-Nov-10 21:48:13

Thanks for all the tips!

The Max Factor Masterpiece sounds great, will give that a whirl, cheap enough to make a mistake anyway!

I have never been keen on Dior stuff, no idea why, but might give the Chanel Inimitable a go as that sounds interesting. I already have the Long Pretty Lashes, but didn't seem very different to the naturally glossy one.

polyhymnia is the By Terry one really good then? I spotted it in the Space NK catalogue, which is what sparked off my hunt for a better mascara (since it's the only make up I use every day, so worth spending a bit on!) It does look very nice.... and Christmas is coming....smile

polyhymnia Tue 23-Nov-10 23:19:43

penona - well I have to say it looked great the other day when the By Terry expert put a couple of coats on me during a makeover in Space NK. But must admit that before investing intend to go back and try out myself.

Granard Wed 24-Nov-10 23:09:29

Blinc - mascara and lash primer. Fab! You can build up with lash primer to whatever effect you're looking for and then add mascara. Comes off a dream with water and pressure, no need for eye make up remover.

Sierra19 Wed 24-Nov-10 23:30:08

Lancome Hypnose, the new one with the serum. My lashes have actually grown a bit.

TrillianAstra Wed 24-Nov-10 23:36:46

"clinique curling mascara
nice consistency
very very smudgeproof but comes off in warm water
nice amount of thickening and not spidery"

What she said. £15 a go but very nice and if mascara is your main thing then totally worth it.

feelingfairlyfestive Wed 24-Nov-10 23:41:44

Get the free Vie one, it is lovely.

TrillianAstra Wed 24-Nov-10 23:46:03

Lovely and FREE.. hmm... do I want more mascara?

40deniertights Thu 25-Nov-10 09:20:01

I like the new Rimmel one (black and yellow), not at all clumpy, and supposed to help your lashes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now