Talk

Advanced search

Please help me with a formal dress for Black Tie at New Year!

(15 Posts)
GregoryPeck Sat 20-Nov-10 01:25:03

Going to a very formal black tie do at New Year, which while it isn't a work thing as such, is hosted by some extremely posh people that DP works with, so it is important to make a good impression. I have met them all before in a casual capacity and they are all very nice etc but I can imagine them dressing up to the nines for this.

I have been looking in all the usual places but can't find much, I was looking at lot of on the knee dresses and i narrowed it down to a few, a couple from monsoon and coast etc. DP was looking over my shoulder this evening and remarked that he thought I would need to wear a long dress. I had underestimated the formality of the occasion (and DP generally lives in jeans and teeshirts even for work so it takes a lot for him to try to up the dress code IYSWIM. )

This has scuppered things slightly as I am only 5'3" and very large of nork. I have nonexistent hips and a bit of a tummy, generally 12-14 top (but even 16 sometines!) and size 10-12 bottoms. I need something which will emphasise my waist as otherwise I have a tendency to look like a pregnant sack of potatoes shock. I should also mention that lots of the women going there are young, slim and gorgeous. I am shape as described above, 30, with dark wavy hair, pale skin and grey-blue eyes. Hair is not quite long enough for an up do, so may have it trimmed to ear length before Christmas.

GregoryPeck Sat 20-Nov-10 01:28:17

I can sew, so emergency solution may be to make something as i did for all my uni formals but also means perhaps I can shorten any dress I choose. I cba making one really though, I work full time in A&E so would prefer just to grab something off the peg.

woopsidaisy Sat 20-Nov-10 08:25:07

I hate when you are trying to find something really specific! Nightmare.
Coast do have some long dresses.
What about this?
Or this?
I'm presuming if you are large of nork you can't do strapless?

GregoryPeck Sat 20-Nov-10 09:55:03

Yeah strapless looks a bit dodgy to be honest. I hate all this, grrr

higgle Sat 20-Nov-10 10:17:13

Just noticed that lovely Coast Dress is called "Percheron" Isn't that a French cart horse? how odd!

onimolap Sat 20-Nov-10 10:36:36

Percheron is a heavy horse, but I think (hope) it's also a region!

Long dresses are an absolute requirement only at white tie. Is your DH sure about the expected formality here? Do you know any of the other female invitees well enough to find out what length they're thinking of?

GregoryPeck Sat 20-Nov-10 10:57:21

I think I like both of those coast dresses, the black one more so.
I didn't see those when I looked!

GregoryPeck Sat 20-Nov-10 11:00:09

I do have the mobile number of one of the other ladies but don't think i know her well enough to text/ring and ask. I may see her on the 4th December but I trust DPs judgement on this, he is normally a better gauge of these things than me grin

tethersend Sat 20-Nov-10 12:55:10

this?

this?

What's your budget?

GregoryPeck Sat 20-Nov-10 14:56:34

Right ladies I have just returned from John Lewis where the amazing stylist persuaded me to try a strapless dress. Which was stunning.

http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/121091 /Style.aspx

GregoryPeck Sat 20-Nov-10 14:58:51

Tethersend- I tried on the one in your second link and that looked nice too- that was my second choice but the stylist told me I looked two sizes smaller in the one I bought in the end

woopsidaisy Sat 20-Nov-10 16:59:59

Gah! That link is not working!

JustBeachy Sat 20-Nov-10 17:12:30

link for you that is a stunning dress!

GregoryPeck Sat 20-Nov-10 22:27:05

Ah, thanks i was posting from iPhone. Yes the dress does come with detachable spaghetti straps which i will prob wear it with, but it truly looked nicer than anything else i tried.

Now i just need help with accessories and shoes etc! I tried it with a pair of six inch heels with a platform, and think anything lower might mean it is too long. I thought maybe a pair of plain black suede heels and a clutch, plus not sure what to do jewellery wise?

The stylist gave me an amazing strapless Wonderbra to try as well, was slightly shocked to be a 32G/34GG though!

GregoryPeck Sat 20-Nov-10 22:32:08

tried on with these shoes in the shop but i think maybe too much with the diamante and a pair of plain black would be fine. They were incredibly comfy shoes though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now