Talk

Advanced search

Stylish hats

(17 Posts)
Waswondering Fri 19-Nov-10 21:01:49

I am currently wearing a long winter coat, that is navy, like wearing a blanket, and (I think!) quite smart for work!

But it doesn't have a hood: borrowing ds (7) hat one day to get from playground to work on foot in the rain one day wasn't a good look!

So is there a fashionable winter hat for ladies in their 30s? I have NO IDEA! but there is v cold weather forecast for the next couple of weeks.

I quite like this

Also like this

Are these too grannyish?

vintageteacups Fri 19-Nov-10 21:08:45

Like the first, which would look very co-ordinating with the navy coat but think the pink is a bit wishy washy and will stand out like a sore thumb (although very nice) against a navy coat. Could be wrong though - I don't do hats grin

Waswondering Fri 19-Nov-10 21:09:41

Agree re the pink colour ... was wondering about the style of it though!

vintageteacups Fri 19-Nov-10 21:15:50

I love the style - although think it's more granny-ish than the first one. I think the first one would blend more and look more work-like.

Waswondering Fri 19-Nov-10 21:27:29

Thanks ... good to know!!

Danger is I'll be looking at these things with my mother, who can veer towards the grannyish (albeit stylish grannyish) with alarming ease!

woopsidaisy Sat 20-Nov-10 09:41:20

The cloche style,fedora and trilby styles are all quite in at the minute. Just find a style that you like and go for it!
But I do think that first one is a bit "granny",sorry.

vintageteacups Sat 20-Nov-10 09:43:36

you could always just carry an umbrella wink

Waswondering Sat 20-Nov-10 10:27:41

Oooh I like that last one woops ...

Umbrellas aren't good in the windiest playground ever invented!!!!

tassisssss Sat 20-Nov-10 21:26:31

I think hats are the way to go. I think you have to try on though (I tried a trilby on today and looked truly ridiculous and I think I'm quite a hatty person).

I expect there's a stall in Covent Gardens that could have quite lovely ones!

(alternatively tesco has lots as done accessorize!)

I think I'd go for red with a navy coat FWIW.

ja9 Sun 21-Nov-10 09:19:59

Honestly, WW, without harping on.. you need to go tot Greenwich market i got a (imo) fabby hat there last winter...

purplepeony Sun 21-Nov-10 10:03:27

First one def.

Meggles76 Sun 21-Nov-10 11:37:32

I second the cloche - I have seen them in JL and M&S this year

Waswondering Mon 22-Nov-10 10:58:47

Covent Garden is a definite- not sure we'll make it out to Greenwich this time ja9 ... though I've heard it's fab. Didn't think about the CG market though ....

Tass - re the red. I'm not sure simply as the coat has a double collar and cuff, the inner part of which is dark green.

FiveOrangePips Mon 22-Nov-10 11:33:27

tass is right you need to try hats on until you find one that works for you - even if you like a hat and think it will go with your coat it may not suit you. I would go to JL, Monsoon etc and try lots on.

I would consider getting a hat with some contrasting colours too, just to brighten up your outfit, will you be wearing a scarf?

Dorothyredboots Mon 22-Nov-10 12:18:39

The cloche is the on-trend hat this season. I was told this when I went into my local hat shop wearing the one I bought there last year! Get a cloche (or several!!)

Waswondering Mon 22-Nov-10 12:40:29

smile

i'll be wearing the coat when trying on, so at least will know.

Plus I'll have my mother at my side. Is that a good thing, I wonder!!! grin

tassisssss Mon 22-Nov-10 14:19:09

green then? though red could work.

excited for you!

sorry missed you earlier, talk soon. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now