Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Gah! Interview 4 weeks post baby - what can I wear??

(8 Posts)
crumpetsolo Fri 19-Nov-10 17:17:16

So, I'm still a stone heavier than normal, and can't fit in my usual 'interview suit' mostly due to boobs rather than tummy - I don't really want to buy a new suit, but would stretch to a new dress ;o) Do you think I could get away with wearing something like this Darling Dress and a cardigan for a professional interview or do I need to splash out on a new suit (or jacket to go with dress..) ? Also, any other ideas for similar interviewy dresses and jackets? I usually find something nice at Warehouse but they're all a bit too casual or eveningy in their workwear section at the moment.

Thank you!

JustBeachy Fri 19-Nov-10 17:47:03

I love the dress but not mad keen on a cardi for a professional interview...if your suit jacket really won't fit what about a longer sleeve on the dress so you can just wear the dress alone like this?

tethersend Fri 19-Nov-10 18:14:00

Get that dress JustBeachy linked to. It's lovely.

Cardigans are the work of the devil.

LadyViper Fri 19-Nov-10 18:28:26

could you wear your normal suit but use an elastic band to keep the zip together and wear a shirt that covers it and not do up the jacket?

LadyViper Fri 19-Nov-10 18:30:09

or a supermarket brand suit? My dad got a suit for a funeral for 25 from tesco, he realised on the morning that he was a bit, ahem, bigger than last time he wore it!

They look decent on the first wear.

crumpetsolo Sat 20-Nov-10 09:42:16

Thanks all, have had a rethink and do actually fit into a stretchier shift dress quite similar to the dress JustBeachy linked to - it's black, just need a grey one button suit jacket to go over the top. Any ideas?? Tried on all jackets I have and none do up over humungous boobs now. Boooooo. I found a nice one in Next for £35 ish but sold out in my size. Hmm...

scotsgirl23 Sat 20-Nov-10 13:10:16

Bravissimo have a couple of long sleeved black dresses which are tummy and boob friendly - I've just bought one for an interview that involved a 5 hour train journey first!

if the dress is long sleeved I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about a jacket - especially if you have a smart coat that you can wear when you arrive since it is winter!

Meggles76 Sat 20-Nov-10 22:04:47

What about a wrap dress like this www.kew-online.com/fcp/product/womens-clothing/dre sses/Ditsy-Print-Cross-Front-Dress/99902047

There is £20 off at the moment. You could wear with opaques, tights and a nice scarf.

I work in the public sector though and we are scruff bags!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: