Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Tea at the Ritz

(14 Posts)
HowsTheSerenity Fri 19-Nov-10 10:36:07

I am off to tea at the Ritz on Christmas Eve and I have no idea what to wear. Well it is tea at 7:30pm.

I have black heels and emerald green heels. I will be living out of a suitcase for the week as I fly back to Australia on Christmas Day.

So what can I buy that is suitable?
Was thinking a plain LBD. Saw some in M&S.
I am a size 18, 5'7, hourglass shape and my budget is quite small. I was thinking something quite classic. Black dress, slingbacks, (I may splurge on new shoes) etc

Meggles76 Fri 19-Nov-10 14:00:27

I have had tea at the Ritz a few times and have seen people very dressed up and also people very casual. Obviously xmas eve is a special time so a LBD is a good choice. There are also lots about - I saw some on the next website that were not very expensive.

IngridFletcher Fri 19-Nov-10 14:04:01

When I went I wore LBD but was pregnant so limited choice. I would say anything bar jeans ok but you want to dress up a bit due to the occasion. It was a lovely.

HalfTermHero Fri 19-Nov-10 17:51:08

I agree Lbd and heels will be perfect. Have a lovely time smile

HowsTheSerenity Fri 19-Nov-10 22:07:09

And have just received an email from them saying that sorry but my booking was lost or some crap and now cannot go sad. This was my last thing to do on my London List before I left for good. Damn you Ritz!!

CrispyTheCrisp Fri 19-Nov-10 22:12:12

Honestly, go back to them and say what you had planned and why (ie: leaving the country). Then ask them why the most celebrated hotel in the world cannot sort this out?

We had similar when they told us we could not bring our DDs (3 and 1). DH told them in no uncertain terms that he had booked and they needed to find a way to accomodate us (even if it was having our DDs on our laps). They relented and when we got there the staff were absolutelty brilliant and sorted us out just wonderfully on a table for 4

HowsTheSerenity Fri 19-Nov-10 22:32:16

I have. I have to wait for them to reply.

HowsTheSerenity Fri 19-Nov-10 22:33:12

The annoying thing is is that I am the only one going. None of my friends are in the country so I am going alone. How they cannot accommodate one person is anyones guess.

CrispyTheCrisp Fri 19-Nov-10 22:37:54

For us the bookings people were a right PITA. The staff on the day were lovely. Stick to your guns smile

purplepeony Sat 20-Nov-10 12:32:10

Try the Savoy- newly done out and prob just as good or better. Or Browns.

purplepeony Sat 20-Nov-10 12:33:17

you were going alone? oh that is really sad tea is such a sociable thing. grab a stranger and tke them in!

whoneedssleepanyway Sat 20-Nov-10 15:17:12

Go to Browns, that is the best afternoon tea I have been too (I thought it was better than the Ritz and Claridges).

polyhymnia Sat 20-Nov-10 15:35:10

I also recommend the Wolseley for people-watching and good scones.

HowsTheSerenity Sat 20-Nov-10 21:23:18

I really wanted to go as it is such an iconic thing to do. I want to do something special on my very last night in England (and London). Everyone I know will have gone away for the holidays.
So if not tea, what should I do on my last night?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: