Talk

Advanced search

LBD and heels - Bare legs or not?

(22 Posts)
summer111 Thu 18-Nov-10 23:13:06

Just as it says in the title really - do you go bare legged or are sheer natural hold ups acceptable?

thanks in advance for the advice!

UnrequitedSkink Thu 18-Nov-10 23:22:50

Would never go bare legged in winter - skin usually too blotchy, and it looks really cheap (IMO). Stick with sheer stockings.

tulpe Thu 18-Nov-10 23:24:52

if you go for sheer natural hold ups, which brand do you recommend (looking for absolutely matt finish)

Clary Thu 18-Nov-10 23:25:16

Sheer black tights or stockings are nice.

Or patterned tights if you want to be funky.

Bare legs in winter a big no no.

Lotster Thu 18-Nov-10 23:26:00

Bare fine in summer, In winter I'd go for opaques, but the thinner ones, 40 denier or so.

summer111 Fri 19-Nov-10 07:57:48

Whew, many thanks for your responses, you're given the answer that I was hoping for. The only reason I asked is that I have seen photo's of slebs going bare legged at red carpet events and I didn't want to look dated...but have to agree, I think it looks a bit cheap myself wink

ememum Fri 19-Nov-10 09:09:15

it looks good on slebs cos they have perfectly tanned legs probably with body make up etc too. In real life people don't look like that. I fine M&S Autograph ladder resist sheer hold ups in matt finish look pretty good - more natural than the Wolford ones I've tried.

diddl Fri 19-Nov-10 09:33:29

TBH I think that bare legs & shoes always looks awful.

Rannaldini Fri 19-Nov-10 09:39:00

depends on your legs and the dress tbh.. fashion is bare legs atm but only if your chest is covered
or shiny complete opaques

why hold ups though?

higgle Fri 19-Nov-10 09:52:50

The quality of the mesh with sheer hold ups always seems better than tights. I'm a bit sad to see opaques being worn with party type dresses, they look out of place and frumpy unless you are very young and going for a quirky sort of look. Sheer stockings/tights in black are flattering to most legs, but nude are eve better with some colour dresses. Am I missing something here but if you are gong to a party or special night out with DP isn't the experience when you get home going to be enhanced if you are wearing stockings or hold ups - struggling out of thick opaques or other tights not much of a turn on!

diddl Fri 19-Nov-10 11:32:07

"it looks good on slebs cos they have perfectly tanned legs probably with body make up etc too. In real life people don't look like that."

Sorry, I disagree.

Bare legs with a summer dress and sandals is OK, I think.

Bare legs in the Winter with shoes, always revolting, common tanned legs or not.

Sarsaparilllla Fri 19-Nov-10 11:33:56

I would go for tights rather than hold ups, they always seem a bit pointless to me and I worry they'll fall down

traceybath Fri 19-Nov-10 17:52:50

Well I'd do opaques or bare legs but I must be common wink

Opaques are more fashionable than sheer tights at the moment - but up to you if thats a consideration or not.

summer111 Wed 24-Nov-10 17:03:37

I prefer hold ups as I've long legs - with tights, the gusset ends up around my knees.. higgle is right too, my dh loves them wink

MaudOHara Sun 28-Nov-10 14:18:39

Sorry to hijack Summer, but there are lots of gorgeous peep toe shoes in the shops atm - does this mean that they can only be worn with trousers?

geordieminx Sun 28-Nov-10 14:58:48

I have lbd and peep toe kg leopard print shoes. Will be going bare legged...common me eh? grin

I hate hold ups as invariably they don't hold up... And stockings, well you can usually see the outline under a dress, and although they seem like a good idea at the time, after several vodka's and trips to the toilet...well it all gets a bit tangled.

So, for the week before, exfoliate, and holiday skin every night, thus meaning party night smooth, tanned legs, no lines, no seem across toe, no getting pissed and pinging yourself in the eye with suspenders belt.

We'll be inside at hotel all night anyways so I don't need to worry about getting cold grin

MaudOHara Sun 28-Nov-10 18:18:02

That was my plan geordie until I read up on here about it being a no-no

SoupDragon Sun 28-Nov-10 18:22:29

Sheer hold ups. And a mini roll of selotape in your bag... If they fail to hold up, selotape used like a lint roller over the rubbery bit makes them hold up again in an emergency.

I've never had a problem with brand new, straight out of the packet hold ups though. I also prefer them due to long legs and the knee high gusset problem

geordieminx Sun 28-Nov-10 19:07:26

I think the problem is my heritage... No coats, no tights, no knickers umbrellas even in the coldest of temperatures. grin

I think you'll be fine if you exfoliate and start gradually with the holiday skin.

MaudOHara Sun 28-Nov-10 20:34:22

Yep I'm a yorkshire lass so used to be perfectly normal to go on a night out in skimpy dress no coat etc in winter

[used to be hard as nails]

MaudOHara Mon 29-Nov-10 21:47:52

Geordieminx apologies for the DM link grin

geordieminx Tue 30-Nov-10 19:36:43

Dear. Lord.

That first picture says it all doesn't it.... That sailor girl.....her parents must be so proud hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now