Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Are tights a no-no with peep toe shoes?

(18 Posts)
tulpe Thu 18-Nov-10 19:22:24

Am planning on wearing a tunic dress possibly with peep toe shoes. Can I wear opaques or do I need to go bare legged?

muggglewump Thu 18-Nov-10 19:23:53

Bare legged.
Tights a no no.

floweryblue Thu 18-Nov-10 19:28:40

no no no no no, think socks and sandals, peep toe and tights is the same thing

LynetteScavo Thu 18-Nov-10 19:29:22

Leggings.

MissBeehiving Thu 18-Nov-10 19:37:46

I think that they can work with peep toes but you need to be careful - see entry here for 11 November. I've worn my black peep toe shoe boots with grey cashmere socks and peg legs. I thought I looked pretty cool wink

mousesma Thu 18-Nov-10 19:40:09

If it's good enough for Kate Moss and Heidi Klum ten it's good enough for me freshquince.blogspot.com/2010/11/what-to-wear-wedn esdays.html

Also socks and sandals not always a no-no if you are young and trendy enough to pull it off Think pretty ankle socks or knee highs and high heels not jesus creepers and wooly socks.

mousesma Thu 18-Nov-10 19:45:54

Just had a look at the blog MissBeehiving linked to (not hers I hope ). Didn't think it possible for anyone to love themselves quite so much [bleurgh] emoticon.

traceybath Thu 18-Nov-10 19:48:25

Its fine tulpe and not at all the same thing as socks and sandals.

Decorhate Thu 18-Nov-10 19:49:45

I think Prada were showing chunky tights/socks with peep-toes in a magazine I saw a couple of months ago.

ja9 Thu 18-Nov-10 19:49:48

hmm, yes i was wondering same - with all those peep toe ankle boots around.... helpful to see the link above...

MissBeehiving Thu 18-Nov-10 19:52:17

lol mousesma smile. Yeah that's me. A twenty something fashion editor living the high life.
<wipes baby snot from shoulder>

traceybath Thu 18-Nov-10 19:52:21

Yeap - there was lots of socks and high heeled sandals in recent vogues although that is a more fashion-look and not one I could personally could pull off smile

HeadlessLegless Thu 18-Nov-10 19:53:52

M&S actually sell toeless tights for peep toe shoes.

traceybath Thu 18-Nov-10 19:57:37

You see toeless tights are to me like those bras with clear straps - I can still tell grin

Its a bit cold for bare legs so if you do feel the opaques just don't work with the peep-toes then how about some nice shoeboots?

ja9 Thu 18-Nov-10 20:51:58

traceybath yes, i'd decided shoe boots where the way to go. but i can't find any i like...

really love these but don't want the platform bit... would also rather ones about half that price...

any ideas where to look?

traceybath Thu 18-Nov-10 20:54:25

I have these as do a lot of S&B'ers and they're really nice.

But still fairly £££

But do look fab with opaques with dresses for going out.

ja9 Thu 18-Nov-10 20:57:10

S&B'ers??

(very nice btw)

tulpe Thu 18-Nov-10 21:00:37

Thanks for all input

I think I was hoping to create illusion of endless legs......which sadly I don't have I had tried on a pair of platform peep toes when I bought my dress and was amazed at how flattering they were (I had calf definition for the first time ever!). Store assistant suggested bare legs with them but I am worried that bare legs in winter are a bit slapperish - fake tan or no (this is what happens when one grows up in the north - saturday nights are marred by the vision of cornbeef legs everywhere you look )

Had also considered shoeboots TB but do they work for the gently be-cankled amongst us?

Cannot abide the thought of toeless tights <<shudder>> and agree with TB re: similarities with clear straps.

I love the premise of spangly peep toes with opaques but fear I would look more Ugly Betty than Kate Moss

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: