Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

What make up brushes do I need?

(15 Posts)
chocolatestar Thu 18-Nov-10 03:49:53

I recently bought some new make up from Mac and I am thinking that I maybe need to get some basic brushes. What would be the minimum I would need do you think? Don't want to spend loads. At the moment I just have an old blusher brush, everything else I am doing with my fingers.

chocolatestar Thu 18-Nov-10 19:43:38

Boosting in hope of help!

ricketyrock Thu 18-Nov-10 20:20:52

Foundation brushes you can buy cheap (QVS at superdrug) or use your fingers. Eye shadow blending and blusher brushes are worth investing in (Laura Mercier are v expensive but v good quality). If you need an eyeliner brush try Boots millie and ruby or Jemma Kidd. I think that with manmade fibre brushes you can get away with buying cheaper, but when it comes to shading and blending, don't scrimp.

Celery Thu 18-Nov-10 21:55:07

I don't have a foundation brush, I prefer to use my fingers.

I do have a powder (blusher) brush, a concealer brush and a flat eyeliner brush ( for using eyeshadow as eyeliner ).
Those are the ones I wouldn't want to be without.

I also use my lip brush a lot, it just makes the lipstick look better.

I got a small kit of brushes from Boots, by Ecotools, that was only about £15 for five brushes, and I'm really impressed with it. They're comparable to my MAC and Laura Mercier brushes.

brimfull Thu 18-Nov-10 21:58:14

someone linked to these the other day ,apparently as good as top end ones
eyeshadow and good eyeliner ones a must imo
I do use foundation brush sometimes and it does make a diff to the finish ,close up looks more natural.
I use cream blusher but use a big brush for bronzer

chocolatestar Fri 19-Nov-10 07:20:17

Thanks. I was wondering if these would be any good:

www.thebodyshop.co.uk/_en/_gb/catalog/product.aspx ?ParentCatCode=C_Specials&CatCode=C_Specials_Super starGifts&prdcode=85646m&cm_re=TopPanel-_-Promo2-_ -brushroll

Doesn't have a foundation brush though. I looked for those eco ones but can't find them on the website.

smugtandemfeeder Fri 19-Nov-10 07:23:33

body shop ones are great, lady who did my wedding make up swore by them. I have one, its brilliant.

brimfull Fri 19-Nov-10 11:07:47

it's missing an eyeliner one but other than that looks great

Stangirl Fri 19-Nov-10 19:38:11

I too was recommended the Body Shop ones years ago - and she was right. Good value and quality.

chocolatestar Sat 20-Nov-10 23:18:26

Saw the eco brushes in boots today so got them to try as they were cheap!

Celery Sun 21-Nov-10 08:16:48

I'd be interested to hear what you think of them.

chocolatestar Mon 22-Nov-10 09:39:31

Thought they were nice and soft. I have no experience of other brushes though. In fact I wasn't sure which brush was which!

Celery Mon 22-Nov-10 12:39:03

You get a blusher/powder brush, a flat eyeliner brush, a concealer brush, an eyeshadow brush and an eyebrow brush/comb in the kit.

chocolatestar Mon 22-Nov-10 14:47:12

Yes I just wasn't sure which one was the concealer and which one was the flat eyeliner and which one was the eyeshadow brush! I took a guess but who knows!!

Celery Mon 22-Nov-10 16:14:53

There's some excellent youtube videos on make up application. I only started wearing make up a couple of years ago, and youtube taught me everything I know.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: