Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

I shall go to the ball...help me traceybath et al!!

(36 Posts)
JustBeachy Tue 16-Nov-10 13:57:00

Help!

I am 32, 5ft 8, size 12, 34DD with a decent waist but a bit of a mum tum and bum!

I need an evening dress for a charity black tie Christmas dinner/dance and I NEVER get to go to anything like this so I literally want to look like cinderella for the night!

Has anyone got any suggestions for dresses? I suppose my best features would be cleavage and waist so no high necks or sacklike shifts. If short skirted I would only go to just above the knee unless opaque tights were possible. I have to be able to wear a bra. I look washed out in nudes but like colour/sparkle/embellished things. Would prefer not to go with black unless it has something extra iyswim? I have an aversion to one shouldered things but am willing to try to overcome it if something is really lovely.

Budget up to £200 (must be resellable after though!!)

Help me!! I spend my life drooling over beautiful eveningwear but now I need to buy something I don't know what I want!!!

traceybath Tue 16-Nov-10 14:30:09

Have got to do school-run but some nice stuff on here

Silkstalkings Tue 16-Nov-10 18:42:06

I am similar size and shape to you and the first place I would visit is Phase8. Trying on irl is vital though, don't do it mail order (eg the gorgeous Twist Front Maxi Dress can't be worn with a bra so needs toupé tape to stick your boobs together).

Depending how much attention you like, you could go for one of these and spend the change on a petticoat and vintage hairdo/make up.

Then go to John Lewis or similar department store (not M&S) and get your boobs measured so you have a decent bra. Get a 2nd opinion if fitter is under 30, you want the lady who's been doing it for 20yrs.

Silkstalkings Tue 16-Nov-10 18:44:07

And you could wear a black dress with a really contrasting colour for accessories eg scarlet, bright green, electric blue for shoes, handbag, beads, fascinator etc.

JustBeachy Tue 16-Nov-10 19:37:21

Oh silk you reminded me of how I have always coveted a Vivian dress...I do just worry about not trying on first though...

I saw this which looks like a good shape for me but a bit black...maybe I could do OTT shoes/jewellery to glam it up?

notyummy Tue 16-Nov-10 19:48:20

pretty

geordieminx Tue 16-Nov-10 20:20:14

Have you thought about hiring designer from girlmeetsdress.com?

tethersend Tue 16-Nov-10 20:38:43

This?

tethersend Tue 16-Nov-10 20:48:17

here?

here?

twoboots Tue 16-Nov-10 21:12:00

vivienne of holloway rule.
The dresses can be taken in to fit quite cheaply, and the last time i wore one a fashionista was convinced it was vintage designer! Also great customer service. (no spanx needed)

I think tethersend and notyummy's blue suggestions are gorgeous. (spanx needed for the french connection) the monsoon is a bit bridemaidy in real life but still fab- this is because I have seen bridesmaids wearing it.

The black Oli is nice but it might cling in the wrong places. (Triple spanx needed)

I'm waiting for someone to brave styleshake so I can get feedback. (?possibility of in built spanx)

For an evening reception in Feb I plan to get this tehtersend recommedation with my vivien of holloway underskirt

Silkstalkings Tue 16-Nov-10 22:24:29

Love the black Oli one but I would worry about my tummy so yeah, Spanx needed. This has a drape in front that could reduce need for Spanx and would cover a bra nicely too.
This one you could wear with black or silver accessories and get a pal to stitch the straps of a black or silver bra under the sequinned straps to look like it's a feature.

tethersend Tue 16-Nov-10 23:05:44

this would be nice with your figure

JustBeachy Wed 17-Nov-10 06:38:47

That last one is nice tethers and thanks for all the suggestions...I think I am going to order a Vivian dress and see what it is like before looking further...but which print to choose???
I think I am dithering between black/pink dots, black/white dots or red/black dots on this one with a black net underskirt.

Any thoughts on which is nicest?

JustBeachy Wed 17-Nov-10 06:46:00

Or maybe black/pink dots with a pink net skirt??

And what shoes?

Silkstalkings Wed 17-Nov-10 16:18:57

I'd go for black/white so you can wear it again with different coloured accessories eg all red or pink. Don't forget the stretchy belt in whichever colour you choose. And a bolero jacket for future use eg church wedding. Shoes should be shiny patent and have a mid heel and anklestrap for dancing imo.

Silkstalkings Wed 17-Nov-10 16:25:29

Shoes men dream about grin

traceybath Wed 17-Nov-10 16:27:52

Agree with silk - black and white spots.

JustBeachy Wed 17-Nov-10 18:40:24

Oh hurrah - I have had the black/white one with black petticoat and white 2" belt in my basket since this morning - now you have backed up my choice I might have to press the "buy" button!!

silk the style of those shoes is nice but I would want a much higher heel than that grin

JustBeachy Wed 17-Nov-10 18:41:13

Would seamed stockings (nude/black seams) be appropriate??

Silkstalkings Wed 17-Nov-10 19:56:00

There you go then - available in red or baby pink too!

JustBeachy Thu 18-Nov-10 08:19:56

Oh silk now that's more like it!! Gorgeous!!

Thanks so much for all your help everyone - I ordered the dress and am beyond excited to see in irl!!

x

JaniceSoprano Thu 18-Nov-10 08:52:04

those red ankle strap shoes are GOPPING!

JaniceSoprano Thu 18-Nov-10 08:53:38

and the vivien of holloway ones make you llok like some Mini mouse pastiche
UTTERLY VILE
is this supposed to be style and beauty? or fancy dress?

notyummy Thu 18-Nov-10 08:59:32

Bit rude Janice!

I will admit I don't like the shoes - red killer stilettos MUCH sexier and would look great with that dress. Like the 40s/50s dresses though.

JaniceSoprano Thu 18-Nov-10 09:01:52

the shoes are humming
the dress will make her look ENORMOUS

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: