Talk

Advanced search

Oh FFS. Finally partners are "allowed" to attend the work do....only for it to be cocking FANCY DRESS.

(85 Posts)
geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 15-Nov-10 21:43:15

villians or superheroes ffs.

I look like Valma from Scooby Doo. Build and style wise! what the HELL am I going to go as? <weep>

DH says I can't go as Valma. Im buggered.

SaorAlba Mon 15-Nov-10 21:59:25

Go Disney!

Ursula from little mermaid?
Malificent, Sleeping beauty
Aunt Sarah, lady and the tramp
Madam Mim, but I doubt folk will have seen sword in the stone

www.listal.com/list/complete-list-disney-villains

snice Mon 15-Nov-10 22:01:16

Nanny Mcphee? grin only joking honest

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 15-Nov-10 22:13:30

Nanny McPhee!! Ha!

God.

Some of the evil queens in the disney list are quite good...but how would you even go about getting a costume together.
Ugh.
grin

Fromage Mon 15-Nov-10 22:15:03

'Works do' and 'fancy dress' should only ever be in a sentence with a phrase like 'worst cocking idea in the universe.

Go as your dh's boss.

BelligerentGhoul Mon 15-Nov-10 22:17:21

What about that strange little fashion designer person in The Incredibles? My dds say she looks like me (and I also look a bit like Valma!).

Bellatrix Lestrange?

Cruella de Ville?

Do you want something you can go as a pair in?

George and the Dragon
Cruella and a dalmation
Macbeth and Lady Macbeth
Batman and Robin

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 15-Nov-10 22:23:02

If I was really cool and thin and well, more cool, I would go as Uma Thurman in Kill Bill. But Im a size sixteen with ridiculous curly hair. So that wont work grin

Fromage grin I KNOW!

May go as myself. I am fucking heroic on a daily basis, actually.

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 15-Nov-10 22:24:19

batman and robin LOL!

BelligerentGhoul Mon 15-Nov-10 22:24:41

Mr and Mrs Twit?

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 15-Nov-10 22:26:24

I did think about cruella, but I think she needs to be tall. And Im valma sized. Am I over thinking this?

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 15-Nov-10 22:27:48

Mr and Mrs Twit - eek, no would be feeling revolting all evening! but thanks for the suggestion though...

SaorAlba Mon 15-Nov-10 22:30:54

For Malificent you could make something involving two plastic cups, coat hangers and stuffing that is covered in black cloth and tied round your head. You would also need a black dress and a collar could be made to stick up with card.

Snow white queen is much easier - same collar, black or purple dress and a crown.

BelligerentGhoul Mon 15-Nov-10 22:34:00

Do you not fancy Bellatrix? Your dh could be Lucien Malfoy.

thenightsky Mon 15-Nov-10 22:34:32

I would come down with a dose of fictional D&V on the day and just not go.

Pah at fancy dress for adults.

<<baa humbug>>

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 15-Nov-10 22:47:30

We have people staying at the house that are also going, thenightsky. So if i dont go they will all annoy me coming in after the party anyway! I want to go to the party, the company usually pulls out all the stops so it will be good, its just the bloody dressing up..
Belligerentghoul not sure about bellatrix, ive not really seen any harry potter films.......

Could I go as something like scarlet ohara? Could I go as Florence Nightingale and wear a victorian dress and take a bucket and scrubbing brush??!! Is that too weird?

BelligerentGhoul Mon 15-Nov-10 22:51:35

Florence Nightingale sounds a good idea!

I LOVE fancy dress - wish I was going!

tethersend Mon 15-Nov-10 22:54:32

Rosemary West?

cat64 Mon 15-Nov-10 22:55:56

Message withdrawn

geraldinetheluckygoat Mon 15-Nov-10 23:06:49

I think I could make a great rosemary west.....if anyone has some square glasses I could borrow....
god, imagine how inappropriate that would be!!

Could I go as Nelson Mandella? Too Much? grin

What about bonnie and clyde? what would you wear for that?

tethersend Mon 15-Nov-10 23:08:35

They did ask for Villains.

Is DH up for promotion at all?

Does he have curly hair?

You can see where I'm going with this...

tethersend Mon 15-Nov-10 23:10:26

Oooh, check out Serge Gainsbourg and Brigitte Bardot as Bonnie and Clyde for inspiration...

CrankyTwanky Mon 15-Nov-10 23:14:43

Oh, yes Bonnie & Clyde could be good. They were a stylish pair of miscreants.

EvilTwins Mon 15-Nov-10 23:15:20

The best rule for fancy dress parties is to go wearing something you feel fabulous in and just force it to fit the theme. I went to a heroes and villains party once in a lovely red evening dress and a crap plastic crown, took a fake dagger and said I was Lady Macbeth. I've also done Florence Nightingale (nice long dress (she was posh, of course) carried a lantern. No one objected) I also wore the Lady Macbeth dress for a Halloween party, with appropriately gory makeup and was "Dead wife of Henry VIII".

Alternatively, wear your best sexiest dress, and if anyone asks what you've come as,say "A bitch. Now fuck off". Obv that won't work if DH is hoping for a promotion.

SevenAgainstThebes Mon 15-Nov-10 23:16:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CrankyTwanky Mon 15-Nov-10 23:16:28

I was thinking Warren Beaty and Faye Dunnaway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now