Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Winter hats if you have short hair??

(8 Posts)
ceebeegeebies Mon 15-Nov-10 11:55:25

I am not very good with hats at the best of times but I had my hair cut in the summer and it is shortish - and I cannot find a winter woolly hat that looks ok sad

If I tuck all my hair in I look stupid yet it is not quite long enough to look nice coming out of the bottom of the hat iyswim?

I always see people round town/magazines looking fab in a hat but I just can't seem to get it right.

Any ideas?

Lastyearsmodel Mon 15-Nov-10 12:01:37

No help here, just sympathy - I love hats but when I had short hair I always looked dreadful in them. I look better when there is at least some hair poking out from the bottom; otherwise, I look bald. But am always too hot to wear hats unless it's several degrees below zero.

There must be some sort of hat rules to help you get one that suits. Like, horizontal striped hats make my large head look bigger. Have you tried a beret? Still not much help, am I?smile

missmartha Mon 15-Nov-10 13:02:24

Have you tried a Baker's Boy hat?

Any kind of cap can look really good with short hair

niminypiminy Mon 15-Nov-10 14:38:34

Baker boy caps are superb with short hair.

A beanie that you can put on the back of your head will leave some hair on show (I do this and I have a Jean Seberg-style crop).

Berets can work really well if they are not too large.

With short hair I find you have to think neat and fitted to the head, or asymmetrical so one side of your hair is showing. I once tried on an amazing asymmetrical trilby by Stephen Jones (hatmaker to the catwalks) which was eyewateringly expensive but looked sooo stylish and glamorous. Wish I'd bought it.

I love wearing hats and I love my short hair too. Just keep trying until you find something you like.

accessorizequeen Mon 15-Nov-10 15:46:05

I've got short hair and agree with previous two posters. I find the oversized, loose kind of beanies are good, thinking of buying one of these from wrap I have a knitted baker boy cap that looks good too. Lots of people I know with long hair complain they look rubbish with hats so it's just finding something that suits.

twoboots Mon 15-Nov-10 15:53:56

i'm wearing [http://www.evans.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ ProductDisplay?beginIndex=0&viewAllFlag=&catalogId =33054&storeId=12553&productId=1956213&langId=-1&c ategoryId=&searchTerm=beret&pageSize=20 this] right now.

twoboots Mon 15-Nov-10 15:54:34

sorry

tethersend Mon 15-Nov-10 16:08:40

Cloche hats also look good

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: