Talk

Advanced search

Can you wear black to a wedding?

(10 Posts)
aristomache Sun 14-Nov-10 11:29:49

What it say's up there^^

Can you? Or is it comitting a huge fashion faux pas?

serenity Sun 14-Nov-10 11:32:17

I have, and do but generally go to Greek Orthodox weddings which seem to have a different dress code than British ones...

miarosemum Sun 14-Nov-10 11:37:31

yes course, but what i would say is if you are going to wear a black dress then accesorise with a contrasting colour, eg red bag, red shoes or monochrome bag and shoes. other wise all black will look a bit like you are going to a funeral! i work in fashion and get asked this all the time!

aristomache Sun 14-Nov-10 11:38:56

thank you!!

Dracschick Sun 14-Nov-10 11:39:33

Yes black can be v chic for a wedding but its a fine line between chic and morticia .....careful accesories will lift the colour.

PlumBumMum Sun 14-Nov-10 11:45:03

I was at a wedding last week I wore black, and so did quite alot of others was more shocked at 1 girl wearing a really fancy white dress, only she had blonde hair she could have been mistaken for the bride (my SIL)

Dracschick Sun 14-Nov-10 11:46:38

See plum I think wearing white to a wedding is the height of bad manners.

PlumBumMum Sun 14-Nov-10 11:48:55

Yeap me too, I was standing with SIL when said girl came over to tell say how beautiful her dress was, SIL said so is yours, I think I caught a hint of sarcasism grin, haven't been speaking to her yet to see what she really thought??

cookielove Sun 14-Nov-10 11:53:33

I wore jeans and a grey top and trainers, to a wedding reception last fri, and thank god i did, the bride wore jeans, converse, a red t shirt and a hoody. Very casual wedding.

However i had no clue what the wedding was going to be like and had actually planned to wear a black knitted dress, with black leggings and black boots with a bronze wired heart necklace.

So i would say yes.

Meggles76 Sun 14-Nov-10 18:31:50

I wore a black lace dress to a wedding and accessorised with bronze belt, shoes and bag. I looked (IMO) tres chic!
There were 2 other guests who turned up in cream lace dresses which I think is v bad manners.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now