Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

can you recommend a wonder hair product for me?

(8 Posts)
cadifflur Thu 11-Nov-10 12:50:19

Prior to having children I had smooth, straight hair. Now it's dull, frizzy with a kink. I'm after a hair product that will make it look sleek, without dragging it down and making it look greasy. I have to wash it every day as have oily roots - doing it every other day doesn't work for me. Serums make it look lank.

I'm trying to grow it so it's shoulder length now, as my previous sleek bobs just looked a frizzy mess, a crop just stuck out everywhere, so I'm working on the principle the length will weigh down the waves that have appeared.

Can anybody recommend a styling product I can try? TIA.

FerminaUrbinoDaza Thu 11-Nov-10 12:52:13

Sounds like you need straighteners TBH.

kittycatcat Thu 11-Nov-10 13:07:20

Try Charles Worthington shampoo and conditioner, it's in a blue bottle, i think it says it's for frizz on it. Also Aussie Hair is good, might me a bit much every day, see if you can get a sample size first. I think superdrug do travel bottles of the charles worthington one. But yeah Irons are the way forward. Or if you can afford it get a brazillian blow dry. My mates just had this done and doesnt have to iron her hair anymore.

cadifflur Thu 11-Nov-10 13:12:05

I have straighteners and need to use them every day to not look frizzed up - only thing is they're not great for the condition over all. Also use the aussie 3 min miracle - I sometimes wonder if I'm using the wrong products and it makes it worse. Ah to have the time as I did pre-DCs to browse shelves.
thanks very much for the replies.

aquavit Thu 11-Nov-10 13:19:37

I'd suggest trying to break the sls/silicones cycle (lots of info about this on the curly girl method threads, or google curly girl method - the basic reasoning is that silicones feel lovely at first but build up and make your hair dull etc, and the sls in shampoos that is required to wash away the silicones, and makes the lather feel nice, is very harsh - so more damage to your hair). I've switched to shampoos without sls and conditioners without silicones (like Neal's Yard, but spenny, and Naked), and try not to use too many products with silicones, and my hair is looking much nicer - less dull, less frizzy -for it.

I also no longer use my straighteners very often - just blow dry - and that has improved hair condition no end.

aquavit Thu 11-Nov-10 13:20:26

oh yes and aussie stuff makes my hair HIDEOUS!

cadifflur Thu 11-Nov-10 13:50:28

ok, ta will look out for the ones you mention, but have used naked and it made my hair really knotty - was bought some aveda as a gift once, which was lovely, but I really rely on BOGOF or 3 for 2 offers as can't afford too much. Yes, straighteners are a vicious circle - short term fix, but make the condition worse. I really try to not use them when I'm not in work/going out but feel like crystal tips. where or where has my lovely condition-ed hair gone? [sob] thanks smile

Dando Thu 11-Nov-10 13:52:08

Try the curly girl method, might help.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: