Talk

Advanced search

Mulberry bags for the inexperienced shopper

(34 Posts)
follygirl Tue 09-Nov-10 18:01:39

Hi,

I have always wanted a Mulberry handbag and my very dh has said I can have one for Christmas.

I've always liked the look of the Bayswater but is that old-hat now? I also like the Alexa too.
Do they come in different sizes, I don't need a huge bag!

Sorry if this all sounds daft. I don't get out much!

wink

MardyBra Tue 09-Nov-10 18:03:44

Marks place. I'd quite like one (but not sure DH will stretch to a Mulberry for Xmas.)

nancydrewrocked Tue 09-Nov-10 18:09:00

I prefer the Alexa to the Bayswater - I think the Bayswater is very business style, perfect for you laptop but not really a casual bag.

The Alexa comes in regular and oversized but at the moment my fave is the Greta hobo - really lovely "in the flesh".

House of Fraser have the main styles in stock if you want to go and have a look and the facory outlet at Bicester is worth a look - my sis picked up a Roxanne there for £520

follygirl Tue 09-Nov-10 18:14:46

Thanks for the advice. I've actually been invited to a sample sale so I hope to get one at a reduced price. Not quite sure he'll pay almost £800 for one!

I do only need a casual bag as I don't work. Would perhaps look a bit daft with all the other kiddie stuff I have to drag around with me. smile

follygirl Tue 09-Nov-10 18:17:49

Ooh - just seen the Greta hobo. It's lovely too. What colour would you go for? I would probably for a safe black or oak but then I'm quite conservative boring when it comes to bags.

Rannaldini Tue 09-Nov-10 18:33:17

i'm over mulberry

get something else

nancydrewrocked Tue 09-Nov-10 18:36:03

I would probably go for brown but I have just looked on line and I really like the gold - certainly not very conservative though (and I haven't seen it in RL- so maybe a bit too much)

It depends what you wear most of black bags go if you prefer greys whereas if you like browns and taupes then I'd go for a brown bag, but no hard and fast rules: a great bag always looks great.

As a rule of thumb brown tends to look more casual.

nancydrewrocked Tue 09-Nov-10 18:41:57

Incidentally if you like the Mulberry Greta have a look at the Jimmy Choo Mandah - I think the colour combos may be a bit crazy this season but last year I got a gorgeous one in petrol blue suede/leather.

It is a great bag and the zip in the middle allows you to make it bigger/smaller.

Meggles76 Tue 09-Nov-10 18:48:24

My advice would be to go for a classic colour like tan, dark brown, black. It will age better and date less.

follygirl Tue 09-Nov-10 19:13:23

Thanks for the advice. I'm very excited!

What other brands would you advise in case I don't 'fall in love' with any of them.

champagnesupernova Tue 09-Nov-10 19:24:07

follygirl - when is the sample sale? Is it in W8? (i usually wangle an invitation)
x

pinkestpink Tue 09-Nov-10 20:32:11

oooh folly im a fan, have a bayswater (3yrs old) and think its a classic although a bit everywhere now, however in a classic colour (tan???) you cant go wrong im happy with quality of mine. not tried it with kiddies things though! wasnt as happy with my slouchier mulberrys (tooo slouchy and i need to stuff to make them look good) adore alexa and extremely versatile (but havent tried can only dream at the moment)... what about the mitzy (although very popular) casual bag. theres also tons of bags out there that are just gorg. LV Neverfull is great for mummy junk (again everywhere but prices are much lower than mulb
heard the sale is next week does anyone have ability to invite others? im desperate to find an invite every year (sorry to ask )blush

HalfTermHero Tue 09-Nov-10 22:11:03

I have bayswaters and alexas (alexi? grin).

I love wearing both as they are equally great styles. Bayswater is a total workhorse and will last for years. It is a little more robust than alexa. But, if you will be running around with kids then Alexa will most likely be best for you as it is worn cross body so your hands are free. A bayswater is quite big and easier to carry in the crook of the arm than on the shoulder. So, it could be in your way a bit given that one hand will be rendered useless in playparks etc..... grin.

On another note, an oak bays is prone to rain marking so be sure to spray thoroughly before use with Collonil waterstop spray (your mulberry retailer will sell it). This will help protect it. An oak alexa (as long as it is sprayed) should be very well protected against rain marks. The oversize alexa might be best if you want to fit a fair bit in. I would say that the regular size is perfect 'handbag' size. Happy shopping!

smellyfeet Tue 09-Nov-10 22:14:54

Is the Mulberry shop in Bicester Village worth going to?

HalfTermHero Tue 09-Nov-10 22:16:52

I've not been myself but it usually does discount at about 30%. You can call and buy over the phone if you know what you are looking for.

faustina Wed 10-Nov-10 06:39:17

if you want to read every possible discussion there could ever be on mulberry bags, and any other designer for that matter, you should visit the purse forum. They even post photos of themselves wearing the bags so you can see how big/small they are. Very useful.

faustina Wed 10-Nov-10 06:42:03

oh and another thing! Some of the newer styles/leathers turn out to be very delicate - for example some of the paler leathers get colour transfer if you wear them with jeans. That's another reason to read the purse forum before you buy

follygirl Wed 10-Nov-10 09:27:21

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll have to wait and see what they have as it's a sample sale and I'm assuming that the supply will be limited.
I am leaning towards the Alexa bag in Oak.
It's so exciting!

HalfTermHero Wed 10-Nov-10 10:56:12

smile Indeed! Good luck and I hope you manage to get a bag that you LOVE. Come back to this thread and let us know what you went for.

HotchpotchHoney Wed 10-Nov-10 11:24:11

i have the alexa, in oversized oak and regualr sized ink, both lovely bags, the oversized is definatley more mum sized though. i just brought the alexa hobo whihc is lovely, but my all time favourite is my roxanne, i used it as a nappy bag for 3 children now and its so easy to see inside and get bits our, whereas the alexa is a bit more slouchy and throw it all in and rummage aorund for what you want.
another bag that is really lovely leather is the orla kiely mainline range in the slouchy leather, gorgeous bag with a flap over and satchel style or the burdock which i adore.

follygirl Wed 10-Nov-10 12:00:40

Thanks for all the tips. Luckily I don't need to put nappies in it as my dc are 6 and 4 so thankfully those days are long gone.

Have any of you been to a sample sale? Just wondering how much of a discount there will be. I was hoping to spend £400-£500 really.
I think dh might faint at the prices! smile

Just looked at the orla kiely bags, they're lovely too and a lot cheaper!

faustina Wed 10-Nov-10 12:56:04

I don't think they sell the standard bags at sample sales follygirl - not popular ones like the oak alexa. You can call the outlets and see what they have in stock and they will do mail order. On the purse forum people go to the outlets regularly and then post a list of what they have which is very useful

I hope you find something lovely!

Frizzbonce Wed 10-Nov-10 14:55:19

@Follygirl, I got my Bayswater on ebay for £300. It had the labels attached so it WAS a Mulberry. I often tie a silk scarf to the handle (thank you Gok!) and I love it. I carry it everywhere. Consider Ebay - as long as you check the feedback carefully you shouldn't have any problems and you'll pay half price.

nancydrewrocked Wed 10-Nov-10 17:05:14

warning I have posted this before but I would think vey careful about buying a handbag from Ebay.

Most of the people selling designer bags should be treated with suspicion unless it is a one off. The majority of the BNWT bags where there are repeated sales are fakes.

I have lived in the Middle East and could take you to a dozon stores where you can buy a fake mulberry/prada/LV/whatever handbag for £50. They are good replicas, come complete with dustbags, tags and even receipts tucked into little designer envelopes. To someone who doesn't know they often look genuine but they are much poorer quality and will not last.

If you don't mind a fake then that is fine but realise that even at "half price" you are being royally ripped off

TheBolter Wed 10-Nov-10 17:09:13

I have several Mulberry handbags. I would say that the Bayswater is not very shopping or pushchair friendly. Neither is the Roxanne.

Satchel-style ones with cross body straps are much better, unless you're using them for work. I have a Roxanne satchel too which is great.

TBH you'll be lucky to pick up an Alexa at a sample sale - but good luck anyway!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now