Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Is anyone else hating the 80s revival?

(14 Posts)
Silkstalkings Mon 08-Nov-10 18:06:18

Ok, I like the Top of the Pops-ish, Debbie Harry kind of stuff but I'm really struggling with people wanting to look like the cast of Sons and Daughters or Jan Leeming. The Sloane Ranger look is surely just around the corner?
Am I just the wrong age group (34) or am I just square? I can't be the only Mumsnetter who shudders at the thought of wearing a 'blouse.' Can I just bypass fashion til it's over? Tune back in about 2010 maybe?

cubscout Mon 08-Nov-10 18:37:41

I wore it in the 80's and was not all that keen then - except was 30 years younger/slimmer.

Shops are full of yuk things grin

BelleDameSansMerci Mon 08-Nov-10 18:40:43

I'm all for an 80s revival so long as it's the cool stuff (not that much of it was cool but you know what I mean). I didn't do the "blouse"/Jan Leeming thing in the 80s and I'm certainly not doing it now. I am 45 though so I'm a bit long in the tooth for all that anyway grin

Sidge Mon 08-Nov-10 20:43:14

I wore it all the first time round - it was pretty shit then and it's still shit now grin

I mean very few people should wear leggings, skinny jeans and playsuits...

I mean look at this, for the sake of all that is holy who would wear this???

EdgarAirbombPoe Mon 08-Nov-10 20:48:20

yes. it's absolutely crap if you aren't ..not just slim but androgenous.

i simply couldn't believe the Pat-Butcher style party dresses getting flogged onThe Apprentice.

knomedeplum Mon 08-Nov-10 21:01:51

I think it's boarding on 90's too - awful awful, but leggings are so comfy and great of you're a short arse like me, as they require no altering, hurraaahh!

Silkstalkings Mon 08-Nov-10 23:02:26

Brrrrrr tapered trousers with pleat fronts! Basically everything in the Guardian Saturday magazine.

Skinny jeans are fine as long as you have something over the top covering your bum, they're like extra warm leggings!

mathanxiety Mon 08-Nov-10 23:09:50

I still have some old 80s clothes, probably vintage by now. DD3 wore an 80s Girl ensemble composed of my old stuff this Hallowe'en and horrified most of the neighbours.

I hate those pleated front trousers and the ballooney sleeves. But the hair was the worst, and the bushy eyebrows.

MaudOHara Tue 09-Nov-10 08:07:49

I feel ancient and wrong wearing things a second time around

amothersplaceisinthewrong Tue 09-Nov-10 08:13:37

I wore it first time round but have the maxim that if you wore soemthing first time round, you are too old for any reincarnations. My pet hate being pussy bows. Think Thatcher and who needs to reincarnate anyting to do with her.

otchayaniye Tue 09-Nov-10 08:46:07

I live near Goldsmiths College (art students) and it looks like I've stepped into a Howard Jones video.

I particularly like the 'Brideshead Revisited on top' 'Morrissey on the bottom'

TrillianAstra Tue 09-Nov-10 08:58:31

Topshp is always full of things that are especially designed to be worn by 16 year olds and cringed over in pictures in 10 years time.

Silkstalkings Tue 09-Nov-10 15:54:17

But Morrissey had no bottom grin.

LindyHemming Tue 09-Nov-10 16:07:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: