Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Winter Hat? What is acceptable in S&B?

(15 Posts)
wrigglytummy Mon 08-Nov-10 11:35:50

Ladies,
The walk to school this morning in freezing rain & howling wind was very cold, DCs were all wrapped up warm & I found that I was freezing - warm body in my barbour & wellies, but cold head!
I can only find a hideous old red knitted tea cosy/beanie in the cupboard!blush What is S&B acceptable warm headgear these days?
Any asssistance gratefully recieved!

KurriKurri Mon 08-Nov-10 11:41:28

IMO when it comes to being warm, S & B comes way down the list. I go for ear flaps every time (not the things that look as if you have a dead animal on your head, something like this. I may look a tad old lady, but I don't have purple ears grin

bettymoody Mon 08-Nov-10 11:42:50

not on fo those idiot ones

TheDevilWearsPrimark Mon 08-Nov-10 11:53:55

I have two lovely lovely fleece lined cloches, one deep red, one pale grey. They do the ear warming thing but look very stylish too.

wrigglytummy Mon 08-Nov-10 13:26:31

ooh, cloche sounds like a great idea - any links for ideas?

Pannacotta Mon 08-Nov-10 13:30:23

I like this but you may object to sheepskin, but a simlar style woudl be warm and sheild your face from the elements.
www.celtic-sheepskin.co.uk/ladies/sheepskin-access ories/baker-boy-hat/

TheDevilWearsPrimark Mon 08-Nov-10 13:31:56

I got mine from urban outfitters, not sure if they are online, but they are all over the high street at the moment. Topshop have some lovely ones but they aren't lined.

bettymoody Mon 08-Nov-10 13:34:25

cloche ones are idio ones

DirtyMartini Mon 08-Nov-10 13:36:20

Get a fabulous wide warm scarf or shawl and wind it over your head in a Hepburnesque manner.

I used to have a beautiful Liberty one in very fine wool, so warm but not remotely bulky. Sadly they no longer do these

TheDevilWearsPrimark Mon 08-Nov-10 13:37:04

I also have a grey chunky knit beret , it's a bit floppy so has to sit 'just so' but it looks great.

vesela Mon 08-Nov-10 20:20:43

H&M have a good chunky knitted beret at the moment that isn't floppy at all - not on me, anyway (although I have quite a big head). They have it in Aran white (which I have) and grey, I think.

vintage4 Tue 09-Nov-10 13:31:14

Etsy have beautiful hand knitted and hand made hats

Dracschick Tue 09-Nov-10 13:34:57

I have several berets but yesterday wore a black felt one that i have sewn some glitzy detail on.....someone asked me where Id bought it so it either looked as fab as I think or they are thinking thank god no-one else will be wearing one grin.

HouseOfBamboo Tue 09-Nov-10 13:38:40

How do you wrap a scarf round your head so you look Hepburnesque rather than a daringly colourful nun?

Would love to know as am crap with scarves.

Dracschick Tue 09-Nov-10 13:56:40

not like this

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: