Talk

Advanced search

Whether you’re a beauty novice or a confirmed fashionista, this topic is for consulting Mumsnetters on all things style-related. Plus, check out our Swears By page for the inside track on the next Mumsnet must-have.

Help me NOT look like a hooker...

(15 Posts)
TmiEdward Sun 07-Nov-10 21:33:32

I have bought a red satin dress for the Christmas parties I am going to. It's a flattering cut, fits me well and the colour really suits me.
It does show a bit of cleavage (and that can't really be helped, seeing as I'm an H cup!) and comes to my knee.

But I'm really not sure how to accessorize it with out making my outfit look trampy. What colour shoes/bag should I go for?

I'll try and find a picture of the dress...

TmiEdward Sun 07-Nov-10 22:03:34

Couldn't find an online pic, so I've taken photos. On my profile!

fastcars Sun 07-Nov-10 22:25:13

I can't see the pics but I'd be inclined to go for neutral coloured bag/shoes (tan, taupe, charcoal - hard to know which without seeing the actual colour). I would avoid anything shiny, like black patent or metallic accessories.

tethersend Sun 07-Nov-10 22:25:27

Can't see your profile!

TmiEdward Sun 07-Nov-10 22:46:49

Oops, sorry about profile. Had a recent name change and forgot to change privacy settings!
Try again in a minute!

mathanxiety Sun 07-Nov-10 22:56:48

I like the idea of charcoal. It's a very understated dress, really nice imo and not a bit hookerish. I would go for some nice bracelets and a necklace, maybe silver with a stone or stones if you go for charcoal shoes (suede is nice). And tights that aren't black. Pearls are always demure so pearl drop earrings might be another idea.

tethersend Sun 07-Nov-10 23:05:03

That dress is not tarty at all- tis very nice, in fact smile

I would wear mink shoes- something like these or these.

I actually think black would work- something like these

TmiEdward Sun 07-Nov-10 23:06:26

Ha! <snort> at demure.
I don't think I could carry off demure!!

Thanks for advice though. Charcoal shoes would be fab, and it's one of my "colours".
I can't wear silver, I have golden tones, but some charcoal/grey bracelets would be good.

TmiEdward Sun 07-Nov-10 23:09:24

Thanks for the shoe links thethersend. I love the Chloe ones. Doubt the budget would stretch quite that far though.

And I'm so glad you don't think it's tarty. I was worried because red satin can look so cheap if done badly!

woopsidaisy Mon 08-Nov-10 07:00:52

Dress sounds lovely. What about taupe shoes?
Cheaper version here.
Just checked your pictures,isn't it this dress? Love it!

TmiEdward Mon 08-Nov-10 18:50:32

It looks similar woops, but mine doesn't have the crossover bust. And mine was from <whispers> Asda...
But it really looks a lot more expensive that the £20 it actually cost!

TmiEdward Mon 08-Nov-10 20:06:37

What do you think of these charcoal Zara shoes?

MissBeehiving Mon 08-Nov-10 21:31:29

Nice dress but shoes need to be plain. Shoes - colour is lovely and I like the peep toe with bobbles - just too fussy for the dress.

TmiEdward Mon 08-Nov-10 22:08:18

Ok. Thank you!

TmiEdward Wed 17-Nov-10 20:33:21

If anyone is still interested, I bought these today. The go really well with the dress.

Now I just need a clutch...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: