Talk

Advanced search

Eternity Rings - what am I looking for?

(22 Posts)
MmeLindt Sun 07-Nov-10 17:33:12

Ok, the engagement ring thread got me thinking about an Eternity Ring. DH and I have been talking about one for a while now.

I have a plain gold band wedding ring, and a diamond solitaire engagement ring. I am looking for something classic and elegant, not too flashy.

Any ideas? Where do I start looking?

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 07-Nov-10 17:37:51

We went to an independent jeweller, had a look at what they had there and spent a lovely afternoon tweaking the design of a ring to sit against my engagement ring and also to match what we wanted.
They made it for us in about 3 weeks IIRC.

MmeLindt Sun 07-Nov-10 17:39:31

I don't think that there will be a problem fitting against my engagement ring, it is a very classic style.

I saw a woman recently and her ring was like a line of diamonds, but when looking at websites was not sure what kind of setting that she had.

spanky2 Sun 07-Nov-10 17:41:48

I like Ernest Jones. Mine is a full diamond band in the 1 carat size. It looks classy and understated. I am going to brag as it is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I also have the same style wedding and engagement ring as you.

2gorgeousboys Sun 07-Nov-10 17:43:50

Like you I have a classic gold band wedding ring and solitaire engagement ring, my eternity ring is a gold band with 30 diamonds set into the band. Like Alibaba we spent a lovely afternoon at the jewellers looking at rings.

As I have very thin fingers I felt that big stones looked silly on my 'twigs' so my eternity ring actually came from the wedding ring section.

superv1xen Sun 07-Nov-10 17:46:05

which finger are you meant to wear an eternity ring? (random but just wondering!)

MmeLindt Sun 07-Nov-10 17:47:04

Do you all have full rings, ie. diamonds going all the way around?

I tried one on in a jewellers - it was channel set and I felt it was too bulky.

spanky2 Sun 07-Nov-10 17:51:13

Mine has diamonds all the way round but each stone is small and individually mounted in white gold which matches my engagement ring. I didn't like the bigger rings as they didn't suit my other two rings. My ring is level with the width of my wedding ring.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 07-Nov-10 17:59:01

Yes mine go all the way round. I had them make me a slimmer setting, with tiny square cut diamonds to match my solitaire rather than the brilliant or baguette cut which are what seem to be standard. I really recommend going and talking to a jeweller, as they can make you anything you want.

spanky - if you bought in Earnest Jones then you were ripped off. They use low quality diamonds in eternity rings and charge a fortune.
We paid less than half what Earnest Jones wanted for a far superior product.

MmeLindt Sun 07-Nov-10 18:09:19

Have a look here please.

Do any of you know if you have common prong, shared prong, bar set? I am confused as to which would look best.

I want it more to be a line of diamonds rather than the individual diamonds.

My engagement ring is 2.5cm wide so it should be that width or thinner.

Tootlesmummy Sun 07-Nov-10 18:14:49

MmeLindt, how about this?

www.chisholmhunter.co.uk/html/details.php/pid/7139 /cid/589/jewellery/rings/eternity_rings/platinum_f ull_hoop_diamond_set_ring.html

champagnesupernova Sun 07-Nov-10 18:17:21

I don't know what I have from your link Mme blush because I don't wear mine all the time.
Three reasons,
feels quite flashy,
has diamonds on the underside, I worry about wearing it all the time, that they'll get damaged.
tis inherited from DH's Granny and is a wee bit too big but I have no idea how to get it altered.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Sun 07-Nov-10 18:17:22

Mine are just channel set - all the diamonds line up against each other with nothing inbetween.

Sort of similar to the ring that Tootles has linked, but with a wider channel for the diamonds and slimmer bands of metal around the outside.

champagnesupernova Sun 07-Nov-10 18:18:00

Have looked again, and I think have bar set.
Looks lovely (and v sparkly)

phipps Sun 07-Nov-10 18:18:56

Mine wasn't tricky to fit as I wear it next to my wedding ring and not my engagement ring. I wear them like this -

engagement ring
wedding ring
eternity ring as I look down at my hand.

MmeLindt Sun 07-Nov-10 18:21:16

That is pretty, Tootles, but I don't want a ring with too much gold showing, iykwim.

I already have two rings and I think it can look too bulky with the two gold lines next to that. More like this but smaller diamonds.

MmeLindt Sun 07-Nov-10 18:24:11

Phipps
I thought it would be

wedding ring
engagement ring
eternity ring

Think I have narrowed it down to something like this

phipps Sun 07-Nov-10 18:54:32

You can wear them in what ever order you want but I wear mine in order.

champagnesupernova Sun 07-Nov-10 18:57:56

Ooh mme, will it spin round like that?! wink
Looks nice though.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Sun 07-Nov-10 19:02:39

MME Lindt
Both of your links show gorgeous rings!!!. And Oh so Classy!! I want one!!

But I already have an eternity ring. However, my engagement ring has lost two little diamonds which will cost more to repair than the ring cost (24 years ago) so I might point DH at something like these for our silver wedding in 2012.

MmeLindt Sun 07-Nov-10 19:15:01

champagne

Sounds like a good plan, Amothersplace. I have a single diamond from my first engagement ring that I am thinking of having made into a pendant. Are you sure that having the little diamonds replaced would be so expensive?

Just have DH to persuade now. Thanks for all the tips. Helped narrow it down.

Zondra Mon 08-Nov-10 11:17:49

http://www.tiffany.co.uk/Shopping/Item.aspx?fromGr id=1&sku=GRP00323&mcat=148204&cid=287462&search_pa rams=s+5-p+10-c+287462-r+-x+-n+6-ri+-ni+0-t+

This is my ring that DH got me last Christmas,I love it & it perfectly matches my traditional gold band & diamond solitaire engagement ring.

I love fashion but,I think traditional wedding rings are most chic.

Happy choosing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now