Talk

Advanced search

uniqlo

(11 Posts)
BranchingOut Sat 06-Nov-10 11:44:56

I have seen a lot about uniqlo on here - what is the quality like? Is it better or worse than places like Gap?

Are there any items to go for or avoid?

ALso, I have seen a few references to the heat-tech tops, but I am worried about becoming hot and sweaty!

passthecheese Sat 06-Nov-10 13:18:24

I am generally impressed with the quality in Uniqlo, I would say you get value for money. However, I don't generally expect them to last years and years because I think of them as basics that I will wear a lot in a season and then I don't mind discarding.

I bought a lot of heattech tops last year which I still wear this year, a few are looking slightly bobbled this year but since I mainly wear them under either items this is not a big deal for me. I find they keep me warm rather than make me sweaty.

HTH

cubscout Sat 06-Nov-10 13:22:18

I like Uniqlo for basics - T shirts generally good, heattech tops very cosy and quite thin so good for layering. I also have one pair of boyfriend jeans which are in thier 3rd year and still get admired.

On line service very quick too.

Horton Sat 06-Nov-10 14:14:31

The jeans are great. I think they are every bit as good quality as Gap or similar and half the price. They have really nice coats and jackets this year. Also agree with heattech - lovely vests, T-shirts and longer sleeved tops for layering in loads of colours.

They often do deals on the jeans, too, so watch out for those. I got two pairs of really nice straight leg slim-cut jeans for £25 last year. Even if they hadn't lasted, I think that would have been worth it, but they are still going strong this year.

Also, there are lots of good cotton jersey basics at very good prices.

JoanPlaysTheAccordion Sat 06-Nov-10 14:32:44

I love Uniqlo and think the quality is great for what you pay. My best buys have been their trouser style leggings (£15 last year, still going strong and fitting well under my 5 month pregnant bump) and a long modal cotton cardigan/blazer which has washed amazingly well, no bobbling or loss of shape at all despite being worn a lot.

exexpat Sat 06-Nov-10 14:55:41

I have uniqlo fleeces, t-shirts etc bought ten years ago in Japan which are still going strong. Their children's clothes are really good quality too - shame they don't do them here yet.

Horton Sat 06-Nov-10 15:03:15

Gosh, I wish they did children's clothes over here. I might send them an email about it and see if they have any plans to start.

Meggles76 Sat 06-Nov-10 17:55:32

My brother in law lives in Japan and buys loads of Uniqlo stuff. I agree with others that it is value for money. Their basics are definitely on a par with GAP

TheNextMrsDepp Sat 06-Nov-10 23:40:39

Nice quality, good value, lots of nice colours too. You can buy online. Watch out for sizing - they are cut for the petite Japanese figure.

pollyblue Sun 07-Nov-10 19:29:43

I love their t-shirts and vests - I started buying them after having several really cr*p quality ones from M&S this year which shrank and were v poor quality fabric.

I find the sizing comparable to UK sizing - I'm a 10/12 in M&s/Next and find Uniqlo Small a good fit for t-shirts/vests, Medium for shirts.

cruelladepoppins Sun 07-Nov-10 20:15:02

I love their heat tech tops and leggings - usually because it's chilly where I live, but today I did a bike run up hill and down dale, and they do wick the sweat away. I was really comfortable.

I have a couple of their merino jumpers and they are lovely too - very fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now