Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Scar reduction cream for child's face

(14 Posts)
ragged Tue 26-Oct-10 04:24:55

9yo DD has very thin skin on her face and easily scars.
She is relatively fair, not a white blonde but medium blonde, blue eyes, pink and alabastair undertoned skin (she glows beautifully in white).
In addition to other scars...She fell off a bike and scraped her chin up (just roadrash, not remotely near needing stitches); healed fine and quickly enough but she still has a strong shadow on her chin (2 months later). I wouldn't be surprised if her skin is discoloured there for life.

There are so many products on the market that claim they can reduce scarring or help scars fade.... Bio Oil, Mother of Pearl Anti-Scar cream, aloe vera Vitamin E... Paraffin in bio-oil gets slated, salicylate products said to be better, but which are they?? confused.

I don't know how to choose and if anything is truly effective! Should I give up trying as acne scars will destroy her chances of life-long smooth skin, anyway?

Advice?

WelcometoProfessorJungleGore Tue 26-Oct-10 05:01:57

2 months is a v short time, do you think maybe you should give it a bit longer to build up new skin and colouring?

Maybe seek a Drs opinion.

She may never get acne.

CMOTdibbler Tue 26-Oct-10 08:24:17

I have v pale skin, and take more like 6 months for my skin to recover after a graze like that. So I'd just give it longer.

After a lot of surgery on my hand, I am using a lovely aromatherapy scar reduction blend oil that I got on ebay which has rosehip oil, vit e etc, but am mostly sporting silicone dressings which are supposed to soften scars and reduce colour. But not practical on your face

ragged Tue 26-Oct-10 09:39:33

Yeah, that's the problem, what's suitable on the face? DD fell off a tricycle when she was 3 or 4 and grazed her cheekbones lightly. She is still scarred there (lots of small pock-marks), and luckily just looks like freckles (she has freckles, too). Cheekbones are so near the eyes, seems to limit options a lot.

I had bad acne, is normal in my family.

theretheyare Tue 26-Oct-10 15:39:52

Sounds like maybe you should leave it a bit longer. Drawing attention to it might not do your dd any good. That said if you want to try something I'd recommend Phytaoil, or the lotion might be better on the face - it's all natural and really seems to work. I think it's on offer at Nutricentre at the moment.

ragged Tue 26-Oct-10 20:04:03

ok, will leave a few more months!

raffiiscool Tue 26-Oct-10 20:45:16

My son has a scar on this forehead and the doctor recommended rubbing arnica cream into it. Not really tried it long enough to say if it works though!

Annem1 Tue 26-Oct-10 21:21:39

My daughter had surgery to repair a cleft lip and her surgeon recommended bio oil and it has certainly improved the scar a lot. Two months isn't long re the scar it takes a while for scars to settle.

Househunter Tue 26-Oct-10 21:50:24

My dd got chickenpox in June and has been left with a pitted scar on her nose. I have been using Bio-Oil and it has improved but is still there. Its more obvious when she has a cold as her nose is red. I might try the Phytaoil mentioned above.

larahusky Tue 26-Oct-10 22:44:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

olderandwider Tue 26-Oct-10 22:45:14

Bio oil really helped the delicate skin on my DD's wrist to heal. She fell up steps and scraped all the skin from the inside of one of her wrists. It was sort of darker coloured amd mottled for weeks but the oil rubbed in every day (can't remember if she did it once or twice a day) cleared it up beautifully, and there are no marks now at all. Took a few weeks if memory serves.

dockate Tue 26-Oct-10 22:49:50

What you're describing is postinflammatory hyperpigmentation rather than scarring. It is common, and takes months (often) to fade. There are no proven treatments. Most of the remedies out there are aimed at scarring (and again have no decent evidence base).

I'd leave it well alone, and expect it to completely settle with time.

tulpe Tue 26-Oct-10 23:19:30

Rosehip Seed oil. Excellent for scarring. Mix 2/3 sunflower oil with 1/3 rosehip seed oil and massage in twice a day. Natural products which help skin heal beautifully. You can source from places like Essentially Oils. Make sure you are buying the 100% pure base oils though - you don't want anything blended.

Sherikaholliman55 Wed 25-Oct-17 12:23:01

My son had a bicycle accident which he split his chin open pretty bad. He had to have quite a lot of stitches by a plastic surgeon to close it up. I was really worried about how bad his scar would be. The surgeon did an amazing job but the scar was pink/reddish in color. I decided to give the Dermalmd scar serum a try. It worked really well at diminishing his scar from red to white and making it less noticeable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now