Talk

Advanced search

Am I too young & poor to shop in John Lewis?

(29 Posts)
ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sun 29-Aug-10 17:30:29

I am 31.

My sister is getting married next year and I want to make the effort and get a dress for the wedding. I live in jeans/t-shirts so a dress is making a huge effort, doesn't need to be a posh frock.

Anyway, any time I have bought myself a dress in the past it has looked hideous - I really have no idea how to dress myself grin

I was thinking I could use the personal shopper service at John Lewis, they could tell me what to wear, and I could look nice.

Is this unrealistic?

I could probably justify max of say £200 for dress/shoes/something warm to go over the top.

TheProvincialLady Sun 29-Aug-10 17:31:39

I think it is a great plan.

UnePrune Sun 29-Aug-10 17:31:48

Our JL has all sorts of concessions that are definitely not old ladyish. I think you'd be fine.

dexter73 Sun 29-Aug-10 17:57:07

Thought you were going to say you were 20! 31 is definitely not too young to shop in John Lewis. They have loads of brands there so you are bound to find something to suit you and your budget.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 29-Aug-11 18:43:13

I know this thread is a year old blush, but I just thought I'd update.

Personal shopper appointment was today, and it was fantastic. I have an outfit I love and it was so easy, and she was really good. Even sorted me out with a properly fitting bra before I started blush.

And I'm not dressed like a granny - I might be a bit poor though £300 for dress, bolero top, shoes, 2 prs tights, 2 bras and pearl stud earrings.

Did I mention how impressed I was?

Casmama Mon 29-Aug-11 18:52:06

Sounds like a bargain to me. Can you link to the dress. (I'm really nosey).

TigerseyeMum Mon 29-Aug-11 18:52:31

Sounds fab! I have never used a personal shopper, as I never have much to spend, but sounds like it was worth it!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 29-Aug-11 19:04:30

this one not very weddingy which my sister won't appreciate but I like it. I am a short arse so it looks quite different on me :-)

Waswondering Mon 29-Aug-11 19:13:43

Lovely, lovely dress. Have a great time at the wedding.

BikeRunSki Mon 29-Aug-11 19:18:35

I think it is perfectly weddingy.

I shopped at JL when I was 20 hmm.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 29-Aug-11 19:19:40

Lovely dress and I love a thread update!

CristinaTheAstonishing Mon 29-Aug-11 19:32:33

It's a lovely dress and you'll feel great knowing it's all sorted, no need to worry about last minute dashes to the shops to find something that matches or fits.

One thing: very wise the personal assistant advised 2 pairs of tights. But 2 bras for the same occasion? grin

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Mon 29-Aug-11 21:27:54

the bras were a multipack grin

onepieceofcremeegg Mon 29-Aug-11 21:32:14

beautiful dress. smile

KristinaM Mon 29-Aug-11 21:42:17

why do you say its not weddingy? its perfect for a wedding. and you will be able to wear it for christmas parties instead of jeans all the time. you will look fab

and thanks for updating smile

missorinoco Mon 29-Aug-11 21:43:37

I love that dress!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 30-Aug-11 07:44:28

I always thought that black was a total no no at weddings, even though the JL lady said that wasn't the case...

Gillybobs Tue 30-Aug-11 11:32:13

Thats a great dress!!!!! Love it

virgo1979 Tue 30-Aug-11 11:41:12

love the dress! got our annual work ball coming up, and although dress is bit over my budget, might just have to buy it....

KristinaM Tue 30-Aug-11 17:12:48

Well black isnt great if it looks like something you woudl wear to the office [boring]or a funeral. But thats neither. Its definitely a party /occasion dress and its not dark. You will look lovely

LolaLadybird Tue 30-Aug-11 17:34:08

Am envy at that dress - it is lovely. And Kristina is right - will be perfect for winter/Xmas parties.

I used the JL personal shopper about 3 years ago and was really impressed. It was just for a bit of a wardrobe update rather than a special occasion and I'll never forget that the first pair of jeans she brought in were a perfect fit - obviously a certain amount of luck but I can spend forever finding a decent fitting pair of jeans.

As for being too young, I grew up with John Lewis. Has always been my mum's fave shop and I've kind of inherited it ...

nokissymum Tue 30-Aug-11 17:41:30

What a lovely dress smile

HallnotOates Tue 30-Aug-11 17:49:24

Not keen on dress. Bitvteenage. Like the top of it. My jl pers shopper smelled of garlic

talkingnonsense Tue 30-Aug-11 20:17:54

I like it- is the waist fixed below the bust or could it be tied at belly button height?

Casmama Tue 30-Aug-11 22:06:59

Ooh forgot about this thread. The dress is lovely - enjoy wearing it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now