Talk

Advanced search

Anyone seen a nice big big handbag - pref leather?

(26 Posts)
Clary Wed 25-Aug-10 23:07:11

I need a new bag for work which will fit A4 papers and big books (education job).

At end of term I was messing about with stupid backpack that was too small and handbag ditto.

Want nice big one that will do the job. Nearly bought Boden bag in sale when it was £44 but not sure about yellow. Anyway it's all gone now.

Anyone seen owt? I don't want it to look cheap, a nice bag is key surely. Don't mind if it is cheap tho! grin It won't be tho, cheap bags usually look a bit naff IME. Up to £100 maybe? But would much rather it was about £50. Impossible?

Don't mind what colour but pref not black.

chdck out barbour, but they are 100 + as real leather , i love them though.

Maryqueenofchocs Thu 26-Aug-10 10:41:37

I love this site for leather bags, have bought before, plus they have a sale on.....
here

NotFromConcentrate Thu 26-Aug-10 19:44:23

If you're after a big, roomy handbag, I have this and it's beautiful but not real leather. It does fit an A4 folder (I just tried it out of interest!)

If it's an actual work bag you're after, I found a beautiful red leather one in Staples one wet Friday afternoon which I could resist, and it was only £70 (I now expect to feel the wrath of all the stylish MNers who would never dream of purchasing a bag in a stationery store!), so it might be worth a look in your local branch

Tripp do some decent owr bags, but they are fairly formal (well, the one I have is. They may well have far more beautiful ones than mine!)

NotFromConcentrate Thu 26-Aug-10 19:45:35

Oh dear, my typing is shameful!

I couldn't resist the red leather bag, not could. And Tripp do decent work bags, not owr bags. blush

Hassled Thu 26-Aug-10 19:47:34

This one from Clarks is probably large enough, and lovely.

chimchar Thu 26-Aug-10 19:49:47

i saw this today...it looks about a million times nicer in the flesh, and was nice, soft leather. really big. smile

Clary Thu 26-Aug-10 21:13:33

Thanks ladies

Lovin that Clarks one actually (bit too much like a satchel at school? do I care??) also have 20% off Clarks voucher which makes it £54 that's a bit of a bargain!

White Stuff one looks less nice than the rave reviews suggest - hmm...

Clary Thu 26-Aug-10 21:13:58

Sorry what I mean is about White stuff that it is prob nicer than it looks - but can I risk that??

summery Thu 26-Aug-10 22:14:03

Why not order with code MUMSSTUFF and get free delivery from White Stuff and the if it's not nice return to a WS shop and nothing lost.

ameliameerkat Thu 26-Aug-10 22:34:33

Scaramanga! Scaramanga! They make the best bags smile I have one and am seriously considering buying another. Last time I recommended them, two MNetters bought one! I should be on commission grin

I have this one
www.scaramangashop.co.uk/fashion/leather-bags/for- her/leather-satchel-bags/small-overlander-leather- bag/prod_637.html
which I use as a laptop plus other stuff bag. There are others that are a little smaller, but still A4 sized, if you see what I mean! I know they might be at the upper end of your price range, but they are seriously well made and will last forever!

chimchar Thu 26-Aug-10 22:46:55

I saw the White stuff one in the flesh. I touched it with mine own hands!! (and tried it on my shoulder too actually!!) it was lush. In fact, I can feel myself getting a 'need' for one. grin

Clary Fri 27-Aug-10 20:57:53

Scaramanga bags all sold out sad

Clarks bag is looking good but several reviewers say the same thing ie that it broke after a few weeks hmmm.

May go and look in store. Thanks all!

div22c Wed 29-Dec-10 15:18:53

reviving an old thread...similar requiremetn and budget as OP except that i want mine to double up as my work bag and gym bag (i know i know it's not done, but i use the office gym so usually carry a pair of clothes back and forth - and can't be arsed to carry 2 separate bags on the tube). any suggestion will be very welcome.

madammecholet Wed 29-Dec-10 18:45:41

I agree with Mary, love Peony & Moore bags, very good quality and excellent customer service. smile

div22c Thu 30-Dec-10 14:07:57

Thanks madamme, had a quick look, the bags do look nice. Will wait till they have a sale on though!

madammecholet Thu 30-Dec-10 18:55:37

div22c saw these in their sale, look big, and both have extra shoulder straps...both green though, which I love, but may not be your bag..(lol at own joke..sad cow that I am!

Whats your budget??

large leather bag

another bag

batsforlashes Thu 30-Dec-10 19:46:00

Second thumbs up for Peony and Moore ! (thanks maryqueenofchocs!!) I got the Evelina in a large
Size for christmas and t is fab and much larger than I expected ( so I ordered another in medium [embarrassed]

madammecholet Thu 30-Dec-10 21:01:39

bats no need for embarassment, every girl should have a bag fetish imo Which colours did you get?

div22c Fri 31-Dec-10 10:01:08

thanks v much madamme, i quite like green and have never had one before so the colour is fine. i like the Evelina's shape but it looks a bit glossy for my taste. the Pia looks really nice. I've ordered a couple of bage from White Stuff, will wait to see whether I like any of them, if not will order the Pia. my budget - as low as possible blush but would go upto £200 for the right one.

div22c Fri 31-Dec-10 10:03:15

btw what are people's thoughts on leather handbags from Zara - they seem quite cheap compared to alot of others mentioned on here (i saw many good sized leather bags below £100 in store yesterday) - is that because they are poor quality do you think?

madammecholet Fri 31-Dec-10 10:20:49

yes imo div, I reckon when leather bags are really cheap they must be made in far east, so not great quality and not great leather, some can be really brittle and break quickly. But tbh it depends on how much of a bargain it is and how long you need it to last...

Personally I prefer paying a bit extra now for better quality, plus I always check where they're made......

MadameCastafiore Fri 31-Dec-10 10:22:12

Red Direct often have lots of really nice bug leather handbags.

Be careful though I have one from Jigsaw made of a really lovely leather and it is soooo heavy even when empty - got to the stage that I was walking a bit lop sided from carrying it about all of the time - wished DS was smaller and could still have an excuse for a buggy!

madammecholet Fri 31-Dec-10 10:32:02

Agree madamecastafiore I have bought from Red Direct before and also Not On The High Street too...

NOTHS here

bootsdingo77 Wed 10-Aug-11 16:16:31

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now